Talk

Advanced search

Gel nail disaster!

(16 Posts)
newpup Thu 10-Jan-13 20:23:34

I had beautiful gel nails put on before xmas. They were great, looked pretty, hardwearing and lasted almost 4 weeks. Today, I decided to take them off. My beautician recommended soaking cotton wool in Acetone, bought at chemists and applying to nail for a few mins and then removing gel nail.

So... Tryed applying soaked cotton wool for a few mins and got impatient so gently pulled off nails without soaking. They came away pretty easily. But my nails are wrecked! They are rough, peeling and weak!

Any advice?

mutantninjamyrtle Thu 10-Jan-13 20:30:34

Afraid such is the nature of gel nails... They will start to look better over the next few days but rub some oil into them when you can (anything - even olive if you have no face oil / bio oil etc), to help them knit back together. Even if you'd waited and not pulled at them, the result is pretty much the same!

When we had our house renovated recently, was horrified to find our living room wood doors had been varnished with... Shellac! Builder was complaining it was a bugger to get off. I did offer my acetone but he said it would ruin the wood. No wonder our nails get knackered.

newpup Thu 10-Jan-13 20:48:54

shock Thanks mutant. I feel slightly better with the knowledge that my pulling them off is not totally to blame. I had heard that they wreck your nails but chose to ignore itblush.. They were really lovely whilst on though.

Thanks for the oil tip, am off to find the olive oil!

Maraki Thu 10-Jan-13 20:59:32

Same thing happened to me every time I had gels or shellac. I always had them removed professionally.

Use the oil, but also use OPI Nail Envy or Renunail (from amazon) every other day. My nails were so horrid that I couldn't leave them bare, they looked disgusting. I also used a Leighton crystal nail file (lots of threads in how brilliant they are as they prevent splitting) and 3-6 months later you will have amazing nails.

There are many people who love their gels and their nails can hack it, but not mine. I vowed never again.

Good luck

PoppyWearer Thu 10-Jan-13 21:04:07

I had gel finger nails on for a few months at the start of last year and they did wreck my nails, they are still suffering.

I now save them for a quick fix for big occasions.

I still swear by them for my pedicure though, they last forever!

PoppyWearer Thu 10-Jan-13 21:04:33

I also have professional removals, FWIW.

newpup Thu 10-Jan-13 21:14:16

Thanks everyone. Just covered them in olive oil as mutant suggested and they feel much better! Will do it again in the morning and a couple of times throughout the day. I think I will leave my nails natural for a while but I might try some of the nail treatments suggested.

Hope they recover soon, they grow very quickly and the regrowth at the bottom of the nail looks fine so hopefully will not be too long.

I won't be having them again soon but they were so lovely I would consider having them done for my anniversary weekend away in the Spring smile

gregssausageroll Thu 10-Jan-13 21:18:30

They are a bit soft if taken off properly but yes, you will have made them worse by peeling them off. They will feel better in a couple of days. The girl so put them on souks have told you to scuff the colour before the acetone with tin foil wrapped round for 10 minutes. Should come off easily with an orange stick.

majormother Thu 10-Jan-13 23:09:31

Can I take mine off at home with just normal acetone included nail polish remover or does it need to be 100% acetone? How long do I need to soak for?

NewYearNewNagoo Thu 10-Jan-13 23:14:29

You should get proper acetone, and do the tin foil thing to soak them off where you wrap them, do it for 10 mins, and if it's not coming off leave it longer. It should sort of wrinkle off.

I take mine off regularly and they are fine.

I did trash them once picking it off during a gig, I didn't realise i was doing it.

gregssausageroll Fri 11-Jan-13 07:30:08

Yes, proper acetone from the chemist. Not the polish remover with it in.

NewYearNewNagoo Fri 11-Jan-13 08:16:41

acetone is 99p in Home Bargains smile

valiumredhead Fri 11-Jan-13 08:49:58

Shellac did the same to my nails too - lots if cuticle cream has helped but I won't be having them again.

PlumSykes Fri 11-Jan-13 09:07:07

It very much depends on where you go. It's what they do to your nail before they put it on that buggers up the nail-too much buffing/scraping etc will thin and weaken your nail, but if they only do the bare minimum, you should be okay. I've been having Shellac for years, my nails are fine when I have a break.

newpup Fri 11-Jan-13 11:24:58

Thanks everyone. They look bad this morning. sad Peeling and brittle and a bit sore to be honest. I bought acetone at Boots and checked with the pharmacist first. But I did not soak them long enough just held soaked cotton wool on them for a min or so.

The girl who did them is a great beautician and did suggest I go back to have them taken off but I am so busy at the moment and it would be for a charge so I thought I would have a go! They were so lovely but if I had them again I would definately get them taken off at the salon, methinks!

I have since spoken to half a dozen ladies who use them and only two get them removed at the salon but they all said gel nails wreck your nails!

The things we do for vanity!

Mutant's olive tip was good though, it is helping. smile

valiumredhead Fri 11-Jan-13 13:20:43

Do NOT soak your nails in the acetone just in case you are thinking about it! You will ruin them. Always use cotton wool/foil method.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now