Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Any views on the Mulberry Bayswater v. East West Bayswater?

(21 Posts)
nevertoolate Wed 09-Jan-13 23:05:51

Hi, I have been looking at buying a Mulberry Bayswater - never spent that much on a bag before (and never will again I expect) but really love it, and have been saving for a year and am comfortable with the spend now, so I'm ready to buy one!

I have been in to 'try on' the Bayswater and found the shop (House of Fraser) are selling the East West Bayswater with 20% off. The assistant told me they're selling them off because they're being discontinued by Mulberry (the East West, not the standard Bayswater that is). Anyway, I tried on the East West too and was rather taken by it. I wondered if anyone has a Baywater or an East West Bayswater and would care to give me their opinion on them? I'm worried that I might find the standard Bayswater too large for an everyday bag, but that I might feel I've not quite got the proper Bayswater if buy the East West (I know, that sounds silly). However, Mulberry bags, and particularly the Bayswater, don't come up in the sale very often, AND if it's to be discontinued, the East West might be a good buy, and I might be sorry I missed it.

What do the mumsnet style people think?

MaeMobley Wed 09-Jan-13 23:13:43

My best friend (who is just 5 foot tall) prefers the East West B because she feels the big one swamps her.

chartreuse Wed 09-Jan-13 23:18:14

I don't like the shape of the East West at all, it's too rectangular. What about the Ledbury which is a mini version of the Bayswater, same proportions. I have a couple of Bays, but tbh rarely use them as they are too big and heavy. Lovely to look at though.

nevertoolate Wed 09-Jan-13 23:37:12

Hm, I do keep reading about the Bayswater being a bit big. Never heard of the Ledbury chartreuse, so I've just been to look at a few - seems they are discontinued now but they do look lovely, though perhaps the handles not quite big enough to put over the shoulder?

chartreuse Thu 10-Jan-13 08:11:18

No the Ledbury wouldn't go over your shoulder, too small for that. I'd go in and have a good trying on session. Mulberry have whacked their prices in the last couple of years so whichever one you choose needs to earn it's keep.

faustina Thu 10-Jan-13 08:24:25

I used to have an east west. The good part was that the handles were longer than the regular bayswater. The bad part was that it wasn't big enough for me - I do carry a lot of crap though!

faustina Thu 10-Jan-13 08:26:03

If you go to the purse forum, there are a million photos of people of all shapes and sizes carrying their mulberries, so it might help you make your choice? Good luck

Decameron Thu 10-Jan-13 09:25:44

I sold my East West as I didn't find it big enough. I'm sorry I didn't go for the Bayswater in the first place. Have you looked at Anya Hindmarch? Her bags are lovely.

nevertoolate Thu 10-Jan-13 23:03:25

Thanks for the advice. Looked at purse forum - great. Trouble is, can't start a post there til I've been a member for a while...
Hmmm, just beginning to see a difference in Mulberry leathers - I'm a Mulberry beginner. Anyone know the difference between (what I think is) an Oak Darwin, Oak Natural Leather, etc - is Darwin a colour or a finish??? Sorry to be such an ignoramous...

noviceoftheday Thu 10-Jan-13 23:12:14

I have always thought the leather Bayswaters looked quite heavy so was put off by them because I am petite. So I bought the Mitzy hobo as it didn't look or feel quite so heavy. Then dh bought me a Bayswater but in suede. It feels and looks much less structured and it doesn't feel like I am swamped by it when I carry it.

munchkinmaster Fri 11-Jan-13 05:36:31

I love my bayswater and big enough for work, I pad etc. I flirted with the east west but lady in shop told me its favoured by the older lady so put me off.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Fri 11-Jan-13 11:21:11

I would definitely go for the Bayswater as it is a classic piece of Mulberry. Given that the East West is being discontinued this bag will be old hat and not one that you will want to be seen sporting for many years to come. The Bayswater is an investment bag which will hold its resale value should you wish to sell it on. Bays looks far cooler anyway.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Fri 11-Jan-13 11:28:44

Mulberry don't sell 'Darwin' leather anymore. It has been replaced by 'NVT' (natural vegetable tanned) leather. The standard classic £795 black, choc and oak bays are NVT leather. The black and choc NVT leathers are hardwearing and will withstand all weather, looking great for the long term. You need to be more careful with oak NVT as it marks in the rain and the leather will darken . It can pick up stains and marks easily too (spilt drinks etc). Oak is the classic colour though and to my eye, bays looks best in this colourway. You can use waterstop spray on an oak bays (which helps) but you still need to be cautious if you want to keep it pristine. It depends whether you will be relaxed enough to enjoy using oak. No worries at all taking choc and black anywhere and everywhere.

nevertoolate Fri 11-Jan-13 12:37:54

munchkinmaster, not a great sales technique to say it's favoured by the older lady is it, but let's see, what is an older lady? You say what an older lady is then I'll tell you if I qualify blush.
But propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS, thanks so much for the 'Darwin' and general leather info, that's very helpful. I don't think it bothers me that it will be discontinued, I rather like some of the old discontinued ones (eg Ledbury) and perhaps see them as more unusual. This is getting hard - true Bay or not true Bay?

faustina Fri 11-Jan-13 12:56:04

they discontinued the east west before, then they brought it back again!

as far as I know, Darwin is a heavier leather, but it's still preferred by quite a few people. It's meant to get nicer with age than the NVT (which is what they use now)

I think the regular bayswater looks more balanced, and is more versatile. How about the other sizes they do? I think there is a smaller satchel version now: same shape, a bit smaller, and has a shoulder strap too. How about that?

ujjayi Fri 11-Jan-13 12:59:32

I have had a Bayswater since 2004 and I love it.

There are straps inside the bag which adjust the size and shape to an extent. For everyday use I keep them tight and therefore a reduced volume but I also use it as my flight bag or an overnight bag (don't worry - I travel light!), in which case I open it up to the maximum. I originally bought it as an alternative to a "nappy bag" for DS2 (having owned a horrendous devoid of style rucksack nappy bag with DS1). I have continued to use it at least a few times a week now.

I have never cleaned, polished nor protected the leather. It is red and, IMO, just gets better with age.

Buy it. You really won't regret it.

munchkinmaster Fri 11-Jan-13 16:40:22

I've no idea how old 'older lady' is but I was about 30 at the time and didn't buy from her so not a good strategy.

notavoicelikeShirleyBasseys Wed 27-Feb-13 23:00:49

The 'East West' for me! fact that it's likely to be discontinued would add vintage appeal in my view. Own one in oak (pen marks all over it as mainly a carry-all work handbag that stays on my shoulder whilst having to carry files in a briefcase). Just got the graphite colourway in the east west from M in Bicester - brand spanking new - only avail in outlets in this shade but no clochette (padlock) with it though(-

Found that my mini Ipad, iPhone, keys, Daria continental purse and a Bloomingdales coin purse all snuggle in rather nicely without stretching. Add a small pkt of Kleenex and pens!! EW is iconic and deceptively spacious without the sag. Don't really like the original Bay as unless you stuff into it, it looks a bit saggy? One other good thing about discontinuing the EW style would be the fake versions should soon rot away and you'll be carrying yours for another few years since the genuine ones age really well. Just my two Cts...enjoy it whichever one you choose-)

phinz Thu 28-Feb-13 01:04:32

Have you looked at the bayswater satchels? They are the size of the ledbury but have a shoulder trap so you can go hands free. The size is big enough to fit in everything you need, it is deceptively roomy.

BrazilNut Sat 04-Jan-14 19:57:06

Popped to the SM outlet for the first time today and left toting a Bay East West in graphite which is the outlet special (no feet or padlock) for £419.

Personally I've always wanted the full size bayswater but I must be getting old and practical turning 30 this year, as I found them overpriced and very heavy so even though an investment piece, I didn't think I'd use it enough to get my money's-worth. I then thought I'd get the Del Rey but that has a short handle and is far larger than I thought - if I filled it I'd need biceps like Popeye to carry it around!

I spent an hour in the shop - the damaged section had a lot of missing long straps on the bags and short handles so I think it's pot luck what's in when you go.

I wasn't 100% sure I'd made the right choice as it's made for the store so perhaps not an actual bargain and also it seemed a little rectangular at first, but to be honest I know I'll use it every day - all of my things fit in it perfectly and it'll match anything, smart or casual.

There were so many crazy sparkly fashion coloured bags that if you want a classic, then beware of being sucked into getting an orange pony skin studded bag - beautiful but you can get that in Topshop etc.

Remember that this is a bag that will last 20 years and you'll want it to be something you love as fashion changes.

For my 30th bday I'm going to ask for donations to my next Mulberry bag fund!

So what bag did the original poster plump for?

lollennon Sun 18-Jan-15 15:24:57

Hi there can somebody give me the size of the East & West Bayswater thanks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: