Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I have an interview next week

(25 Posts)
ImpYCelynAndTheIvy Sun 06-Jan-13 17:31:13

It's for teacher training.

I don't wear trousers so I'm thinking of getting a smart dress + jacket/cardigan. Ideally something like this www.marksandspencer.com/M-Woman-V-Neck-Panelled-Skater/dp/B004I8P4TM?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_69&nodeId=43102030&sr=1-69&qid=1357492651 but cheaper if possible, and I'd love some suggestions of what to wear with it.

I've only ever been a student and a SAHM so there's not much in my wardrobe to work with.

nextphase Sun 06-Jan-13 20:09:33

Have you tried New Look, or a big ASDA?

I'd stay clear of a cardi for interview, unless very smart. Not a teacher tho.

tethersend Sun 06-Jan-13 22:43:49

Primary or secondary?

I would also avoid cardigans, but that's because I hate them. They could be ok for a teacher training interview, but I'd go smarter to be on the safe side.

Red dress

Navy shift

Blue shift

This black one could work with jewellery and heels...

Orange pleated

Black peplum

tethersend Sun 06-Jan-13 22:45:38

With something like this over the top.

What do you look like?

tethersend Sun 06-Jan-13 22:46:26

More formal

sassytheFIRST Sun 06-Jan-13 22:47:40

Teacher training interview does not need to be too formal - dress and smart Cardi or blazer ideal. You'll need a suit-type for actual teaching job interviews but not yet. Good luck!

tethersend Sun 06-Jan-13 22:47:49

This would work well with the black shift

makemineapinot Sun 06-Jan-13 22:47:52

I wore a black trouser suit with a brightish (not too bright!) top for my teacher training interview as I don't do skirts/dresses and knew I would feel uncomfortable wearing them!! Must've worked cos i got a place!

willowstar Mon 07-Jan-13 00:55:07

Oh dear, wish I hadn't clicked on this! I have an interview on Tuesday for a research job, I am really nervous already and plan on wearing a blue tweed skirt with a bright acid yellow green cardigan and blue tights. I live rurally so husband took day off last week and we trailed into nearest city, I trawled all over and tried on loads of really conservative outfits but I just don't suit dark or neutrals ad felt much better in what I eventually bought, both from 'the collection' at John Lewis.

Hope it doesn't go against me!

Valdeeves Mon 07-Jan-13 07:31:45

Depends what you are researching! - sounds nice to me. With teacher training (and I have been the interviewer at one point for this) you just need to look like you've made lots if effort. A nice dress and smart cardigan or suit is fine. Don't wear silly shoes or show lots of cleavage or thigh though!

Valdeeves Mon 07-Jan-13 07:33:55

Its personality they look for in teacher training - to see if you are emthusiastic, have a voice that won't put the kids to sleep and some subject knowledge.

Rebecca54 Mon 07-Jan-13 12:07:42

I agree with Valdeeves - they are looking for personality rather than how you are dressed (as long as you don't wear anything too outrageous!)

I would have thought a nice knee length dress or a skirt suit would be ideal. You need something which you feel comfy in.

I was just a little curious as to why you don't wear trousers as most female teachers I know live in them!

ImpYCelynAndTheIvy Mon 07-Jan-13 12:42:04

Thank you so much everyone!

Tethersend - some of those dresses are perfect, thank you! I really like the long sleeve one, but I think you might have to be very willowy to pull it off.

I'm 27, a curvy 12 (still losing pregnancy weight) and 5'8. Still breastfeeding and have a huge bust at the moment. I'm applying for secondary. Also, it's for a School Direct place, not a college place, so I think I need to be a bit smarter than if it was for a PGCE.

So cardigan out and jacket in.

Rebecca - I don't wear trousers just because I feel really uncomfortable in them. I think it's to do with sporty thighs <cough> and insecurity.

Willowstar - that's the kind of thing I would normally wear, I think it sounds great.

ImpYCelynAndTheIvy Mon 07-Jan-13 13:03:08

Could I wear this jacket with the black peplum dress? direct.asda.com/george/women/blazers/printed-formal-blazer/GEM268326,default,pd.html?cm_vc=GRGBZBOT

tethersend Mon 07-Jan-13 18:03:41

Absolutely- I almost linked to it wink

What shoes would you wear?

That jacket and a black dress would be absolutely fine - and smart enough to use instead of a suit for later interviews too, as well as for wearing to work generally. You could make it a bit less 'formal' with maybe some grey heeled ankle boots, instead of shoes.

tethersend Mon 07-Jan-13 18:37:56

yy to grey ankle boots for a less formal look.

tethersend Mon 07-Jan-13 18:40:00

BTW Remus, meant to ask- did you ever find your grey leather biker jacket? Are you still looking?

I actually saw a grey one the other day. But I bought a chocolate brown one instead - love it! You have an amazing memory. smile

ImpYCelyn Mon 07-Jan-13 19:36:59

Great, thanks! I've ordered the dress and jacket.

I have these boots www.office.co.uk/womens/office/downtown/10/12224/34298/1?fs=12224 and these shoes www.office.co.uk/womens/office/exclusive_toe_cap/30/12006/33669/1?fs=12006 blush they look nicer on, honestly.

Other than those I don't think I have anything else. My best shoes are tan, or red.

What do you think?

Thanks so much again!

tethersend Mon 07-Jan-13 20:22:55

Neither of those will work... Tan or red probably would though.

Deffo no to the toe cap things. I've got some boots similar to the first link but I wouldn't wear them with the outfit you've ordered. What style are the red or tan?

tethersend Mon 07-Jan-13 22:12:47

Tan

Black

ImpYCelyn Mon 07-Jan-13 23:28:09

The red are quite similar to the black ones linked by tethersend, but sort of brogues with stitching detail.

These are my tan ones here

I have feet problems, so I only really have flats or very low heels.

Gah, I'll have to ransack my wardrobe tomorrow and check there's nothing else lurking.

Oh wait, I might have some dark grey patent courts? These they're less dark and more grey in reality. And I could probably wear them for the duration of an interview. But they'll make me really tall.

Sorry, I have useless stuff to work with sad

DaPrincessBride Mon 07-Jan-13 23:50:24

I think the tan ones...good luck with the interview!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now