Talk

Advanced search

I need a top coat that won't chip.

(11 Posts)
Fluffydressinggown Wed 02-Jan-13 23:16:12

I am sick of my nails chipping, usually within a day of me painting them.

I use a range of polishes and they all chip, OPI, China Glaze, Essie, Barry M, Rimmel etc.

I have tried OPI Start to Finish and Seche Vite. The Seche Vite gives them an amazing gloss and seems to set the polish but it doesn't stop chipping.

What do I need to buy?

emsyj Wed 02-Jan-13 23:31:14

Have you thought about trying shellac/gelish? You would only need to get it done once a fortnight and it doesn't chip...

Otherwise, the best chipping tip is to cover the tip of your nail - so dont' just take the polish to the edge, follow over the edge to seal it (hope that makes sense). Same again with the top coat.

Fluffydressinggown Wed 02-Jan-13 23:55:21

I do have geleration done sometimes and it is great.

I do like painting my own nails as well though! I am very quick and have lots of colours so it is no bother, just frustrating when it chips sooo quickly. Interesting tip about over the top of my nails, I will try that next time.

FreshLeticia Thu 03-Jan-13 08:06:13

Shellac and the others chip for me too.
Am resigned to doing nails every few days now.

littlemissmulledwine Thu 03-Jan-13 09:51:49

sally Hanson hard as nails is great smile

Wolfiefan Thu 03-Jan-13 09:56:53

Base coat. Two coats.
Next day. Another coat and top coat.
Or wear light glitter or clear gloss.
My nail polish can chip by the end of the day.

SunshineOutdoors Thu 03-Jan-13 09:58:19

Jessica top coat is good. Can't remember what it's called. I do polish, top coat, polish, top coat.

Fluffydressinggown Thu 03-Jan-13 18:47:57

Thank you for your ideas. I will buy the Jessica stuff, I have had Jessica manis before and they last ages so that seems like a good idea!

I like the idea of polish/top coat/polish, will try that.

My polish (Essie) has not actually chipped today!

jackstini Thu 03-Jan-13 21:56:33

DIY gel kit - then you get the no-chipping of gel polish but still get to do it yourself!
I got mine in March and absolutely love it

(& I love that you can paint over with normal polish in a different colour for a night out then take it off next day with normal remover and gel polish is still perfect!)

ScienceRocks Sat 05-Jan-13 14:03:30

Where do you get a DIY gel kit from?

jackstini Sat 05-Jan-13 16:43:16

www.sensationail.co.uk
Or have seen in some shops - Asda, Boots, Tesco or Sainsburys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now