Talk

Advanced search

Yellow/orange hair...how do I get it back to normal?

(10 Posts)
FairyTrain Sat 29-Dec-12 22:01:23

Can anyone tell me how to get the yellow and orange colour out of my home dyed blonde hair?? The colour looks awful ( the cut is great thanks to the mumsnet cut the other night wink)

gatheringlilac Sat 29-Dec-12 22:31:27

A lilac wash?

I know no more about this, however. Basically, I had my hair dyed by someone incompetent years ago, and I could hear her and the manager muttering about a lilac wash to "bring the colour down". Oh, that was a good experience.

Good luck.

Flicktheswitch Sat 29-Dec-12 22:32:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheOriginalNutcracker Sat 29-Dec-12 22:34:11

You can buy purple shampoo from most shops, and that will tone down the brassiness of it.

Or, try putting some colour before on it to get the dye out. Be warned though, it stinks.

CoteDAzur Sat 29-Dec-12 22:36:06

If you insist on doing it yourself, I would work some henna-based dark hair dye into your hair.

Flicktheswitch Sat 29-Dec-12 23:17:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeChatRouge Sat 29-Dec-12 23:25:38

If you want to stay blonde, but tone down the 'brassiness', then you need to buy some purple shampoo. It is a deep strong purple colour and may mark your towels, but the purpleness will counteract and neutralise the yellow tones in your hair.

If its really orange, you probably need more bleach to lift it lighter, it could have not gone through all of the lightening stages properly. Wait a couple of days if you can bare it, wash your hair with shampoo but not conditioner, dry it and apply some more colorant, preferably something with number 10.something on the box. You will end up with fragile hair though, so keep it trimmed and use oils and conditioners over the next few months.

Alternatively, go for a consultation at a salon and see what they would do as an opinion.....you don't have to book an appointment, just get their advice.

lovestea Sat 29-Dec-12 23:37:58

Provoke 'Touch of Silver' is a toner shampoo that will take the brassiness out of your hair. It is bottled as 'Twice a Week Brightening Shampoo', costs about £2:50 and can be bought in Boots, and Sainsburys. Tis brilliant. Tis blue.

FairyTrain Wed 02-Jan-13 20:28:16

Thanks all, managed to find Touch of Silver today, so will wash tonight...

lovestea Thu 03-Jan-13 09:59:59

Fairy, you will see a difference after about three washes. Good luck with it, I think it is a great product.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now