Talk

Advanced search

I have legs like a duck - how do I get boots to fit?!

(12 Posts)
NumptyMum Sun 23-Dec-12 21:45:00

At present I wear Docs as they are wide enough for my feet, and a bit big around the calves but they are OK. However they leak. So I'd like to find new boots that fit me and I'm getting desperate as I was hoping for this to be a Christmas present to me from my folks.

My calves are around 33cm, so pretty skinny. My feet on the other hand are wide, either an E or an EE depending on which scale/manufacturer you care to choose (it would be REALLY HELPFUL if manufacturers standardised their measurements, grrr).

So are there any similar skinny-calved wide-footed MNers out there who might have the answer to my dilemma?! I really liked DUO boots when I found them but see on their website that they assume slim calf = skinny foot ie C width, so it's back to the drawing board (extra pee-d off as I really liked the styles I found there).

DIYtired Sun 23-Dec-12 23:54:25

you have my sympathy. I'm exactly the same, but also have size 8 feet and I'm not that tall, so basically I look like a right angle angry

I bought these in brown: www.barratts.co.uk/en/rieker-peridot-high-leg-casual-boots-183752. They are wide in the foot, skinny in the calf, have lovely warm lining for winter and were only £50 when I bought them. I don't think they'll last forever, but for £50 I don't mind that.

DIYtired Sun 23-Dec-12 23:55:21

PS they look much better in real life than on that link.

Hobnobber Mon 24-Dec-12 00:12:15

www.shoetailor.com/shop/golddigga-studded-strappy-eee-fit-boots/so987/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=6851

www.shoetailor.com/shop/legroom-boots-eee-fit-standard-calf/so799/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=6851#colour:Black,size:

Hobnobber Mon 24-Dec-12 00:13:38

www.shoetailor.com/shop/shoes/1/_/N-1ytvqf9/Ntt-EEE/products/show.action?cm_sp=SHO-_-S3-_-EEE+Fitting&searchKey=Footwear#/shop/boots/shoes/1/_/N-1ytvqf8/Ntt-EEE/products/show.action?Ntk=Footwear&cm_sp=SHO-_-S3-_-EEE+Fitting&searchKey=Footwear&spv=true

KoalaKube Mon 24-Dec-12 00:15:19

In Bath they have a shop called DUO its brilliant for getting the best fitting boots as they do all calf sizes, basically they measure you and find boots to fit frpm their range.I belive they have an online shop too - give it a google.
I have a pair from about 3 years ago - best fit ever and really great quality.

good luck

KoalaKube Mon 24-Dec-12 00:21:32

whoops just noticed that you already looked at duo - sorry

BikeRunSki Mon 24-Dec-12 00:22:23

but OP has already given the reason why Duo doesn't work for her!

KelleStarOfWonder Mon 24-Dec-12 09:05:17

Blowfish boots seem [to me] to be suited to the wide of foot and narrow of ankle, though I think it varies depending on some of the styles. They can be easily found in Schuh stores. I am not sure how long lasting they are in leather as I tend to go for their canvas shoes and they get a year of daily wear before they fall apart.

Chottie Mon 24-Dec-12 12:54:20

Duo boots are your answer. They sell boots that come in different widths for calves.

NumptyMum Mon 24-Dec-12 22:36:47

Hello again! Thank you all so much for your replies, I only just checked back in after a busy Christmas eve. Actually DUO might still be the answer - I checked back on their website and hidden in a corner they give the actual measurements for their 'normal' width - which is 23.5, the measurement that's an E or EE for other manufacturers. I rang them earlier, and the boots I like do have extra width around the toes so may work.

DIY tired - I like the look of those boots too! Are they reasonably weatherproof?

Cheers again all, and Merry Christmas - I'll check back for any replies when I can!

DIYtired Wed 26-Dec-12 00:48:20

I'm ashamed to say I don't really know - I've been working so much in the last 2 months since I bought them that I've barely been outside sad.

However on Amazon and Barratts they have loads of people happy with the boots and saying they are reasonably waterproof. They are Rieker Peridot or Astrid, depending on which shop you look in: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002BA4ELS/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now