Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else hate their teeth?

(19 Posts)
StickEmWithThePointyEnd Tue 18-Dec-12 21:22:14

Warning: Self pitying thread ahead.

I wore braces for around 2 to 3 years as a teen but my teeth now are worse (imo) than before I had the braces. I have an overbite, all my bottom teeth are crooked (am I spelling that right? confused) and one side of my top teeth is uneven so it can look like one of my teeth is bad/missing!

To top it all off my wisdom teeth are messing around and have been coming through for the last 7 fucking years and are still not quite through yet but I'm sure they're causing more crookedness because there isn't enough room. Even worse the new crookedness is affecting my two front teeth which previously were ok!

I can't afford braces again. I'm doomed to crap teeth forever.

<whinge>

lifeintheolddogyet Tue 18-Dec-12 21:28:50

Yup. Another failed brace attempt here. My front ones stick out but turn inwards in the middle. Awful - not kooky, or cute... just snaggle toothed.

Are your wisdom teeth painful?

Is there a dental school near you? Do you think they'd do your braces as a student learning thing? I used to work in Manchester and the dental school at the university gave cheap treatment in exchange for it being done by students (and supervised, of course!)

Meta4 Tue 18-Dec-12 21:32:02

Same here. I kick myself for not wearing my retainers, but I used to wake in the night with an aching face. I'd smile SO much more if they were straight.

TBH they're bearable in real life - but in photos they look awful.

Wish I could afford Invisalign...

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Tue 18-Dec-12 21:33:32

Wisdom teeth go through stages of being painful - presumably when they decide to have another go at "erupting" as the dentist puts it. Every time I go they're still only partially erupted. [grr]

I'll have a look at the dental school option thank you. I would smile but you know then you'd see my teeth grin... oops!

lifeintheolddogyet Tue 18-Dec-12 21:39:06

Ha ha. Duck, I'm about to grin !

Mine make my lips stick out a bit too. sad

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Tue 18-Dec-12 21:44:13

Oh yes, that gormless look I have because my lips don't close without me making an effort is really sexy hmm. Stupid overbite.

fengirl1 Tue 18-Dec-12 21:55:37

I hate mine because not only are they slightly wonky and worn down, but I have also lost enamel ( my dentist is convinced I was bulimic) - probably when I was pregnant - and the 'end' parts of all my front teeth are almost transparent. I don't smile much with my mouth open. hmm

lowercase Tue 18-Dec-12 22:22:22

groupon have invisalign come up for around £700ish im told...

Beaverfeaver Tue 18-Dec-12 22:39:28

How much is Invisalign usually?

Gatorade Tue 18-Dec-12 22:48:08

I used to hate mine, I ended up paying about £5,000 for implants 7 years ago and I can honestly say it transformed my life.

I still don't have a 'bite' as such (as in when I clench my jaw my top teeth don't sit flush against the bottom ones) but nobody would notice this as cosmetically they look great and i'm often complimented on them. The were a wonky mess before I had the work done and they really dented my confidence, especially when meeting new people or when meeting with clients at work.

Chunkamatic Tue 18-Dec-12 23:06:34

From my understanding, invisalign only work on fairly minor wonkiness.

I had the same story as you, OP, braces as a teen but never followed through with retainers and not long after my teeth were much much worse than before.

I really started to ate my teeth as I got older and a few years ago I decided to go or private treatment to get them straightened, and it was the best thing I've ever done.

It cost around 2.5k (!!!!!), which is a lot of money to me, but I paid in installments of around £120 each time I visited the dentist. Due to having babies etc it took twice as long as it should have but also meant I had twice as long to pay for it.

I wore proper braces on the front of my teeth, bt made of white wire so less visible. Hated it but the more obvious top ones were only on for 11 months.
I now wear permanent retainers on the front and back of my teeth and have removable ones to sleep in.

If it affects the way you feel about yourself you should look to your options. I take care of myself but am not into Botox or any kind of surgery but this was something that made me feel u healthy and unattarctive and it is so nice to not worry about it anymore.

Chunkamatic Tue 18-Dec-12 23:07:22

Oh god sorry for typing, on IPad and too lazy to proof read!

Phaedra11 Wed 19-Dec-12 11:07:12

I have been self-conscious about my teeth all my life. Some are crooked and my front teeth are quite large. I've thought about trying to get them straightened but know there's nothing I can do about my front teeth so it doesn't really seem worth it. Genetics can be so unfair. I get big teeth from my dad, short legs from my mum and short sightedness from both, whilst my sister inherits great teeth from my mum, long legs from my dad and perfect eyesight from god knows where envy.

It has had a big impact on my life as I spent my twenties avoiding smiling properly at anyone! At some point, in my thirties, it occurred to me that I would get on better in life if I did smile at people, even if they might be quietly judging my teeth as I did it!

Now I'm my forties, I think about it less but am becoming increasingly preoccupied by my ageing skin!

leastsaidsoonestmended Wed 19-Dec-12 12:07:08

Phaedra, I'm no expert but I think you can get the size and shape of your front teeth changed - either through veneers or just filing your own teeth down a bit if that would be sufficient. My info comes from reading the before and after catalogue in my dentists' waiting room and seeing what can be achieved is remarkable.

I am also a fixed brace failure but went on to have Invisalign and have to say it was worth every penny. Most dentists seem to provide a finance option, which is how I did mine and whilst I wouldn't normally advocate getting into debt, being able to smile and feel confident are so intrinsic, if you can do it it is worth it for the benefits. Still need to wear retainers for ever, at night though.

lowercase Wed 19-Dec-12 12:15:12

most cases can be treated with full invisalign.
can take up to 4 years shock
gaps i believe are more complex than crowding.

you can indeed get your teeth shaved.

tak1ngchances Wed 19-Dec-12 12:19:10

I have a narrow arch up and down, overcrowding on the bottom, and fluorosis. So basically I have wonky teeth of all different colours. They are definitely my worst feature

Phaedra11 Wed 19-Dec-12 13:25:15

Leastsaid and lowercase, thanks for letting me know there is possible hope! I will look into that.

JingleBellsAllTheWay Wed 19-Dec-12 16:51:27

Yes I hate my teeth and I hate people with perfect teeth! envy

GinAndSlimlinePlease Wed 19-Dec-12 17:00:10

I hate my teeth, but I'm having braces to sort it out. Proper train tracks! But it's fine, I don't mind. I'll have nice teeth in a couple of years, finally in my 30s! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now