Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help! Afternoon tea at Claridges! 3 month warning!

(11 Posts)
FurryDogMother Tue 18-Dec-12 18:32:48

Let me start by saying that this is a one off thing for me - am NOT the sort of person who goes to posh hotels for tea, afternoon or otherwise, but a couple of friends and I have been watching the Claridges stuff on the telly, and decided it would be a really nice thing to experience Afternoon Tea (caps essential!) once in our lifetime, so we're planning a visit in March (will be booked well in advance).

So, all you people who know about clothes/shoes etc. stuff - what should a 50 something, apple shaped, around a size 14 (maybe 12 by then!), 5' 4" woman wear for Afternoon Tea at Claridges in March, without looking like she's trying too hard or out of her comfort zone?

I'm looking for style guidance rather than actual items as such - I have a limited budget but have a while to look around and get bargains, or adapt clothes I already have. I just don't want to turn up looking like something out of TOWIE or like I've come straight from a funeral or the Women's Institute (no insult intended, it's just not me).

Over to you - please be nice!

Caitycat Tue 18-Dec-12 18:37:54

Well I went for tea at the Savoy last year and wore a Hobbs dress, think low-key wedding (without the fascinators! Wear subtle makeup and jewellery too.

SantasBitch Tue 18-Dec-12 18:39:18

What Caitycat says. You wear a tea dress of course. grin

itsallinthememories Tue 18-Dec-12 19:54:46

you dont need to be too dressed up. slim cut cigarette trousers, a blouse, heeled ankle boots and a statement bag.

LittlePandaBear Tue 18-Dec-12 20:49:02

No style ideas, but I've bene watching that Claridges programme too so have a lovely time!

ifso Tue 18-Dec-12 20:59:38

calm down

opaque tights, decent court shoes heels, shift dress or tunic...nice bag...just eat with manners and what u wear wont matter!

gregssausageroll Tue 18-Dec-12 21:06:17

We went to the Dorchester and wore jeans.

icapturethecastle Tue 18-Dec-12 21:09:07

As above - but just want to say I am jealous too I am loving the claridges series

polyhymnia Tue 18-Dec-12 22:41:20

Definitely go for understatement.

judefawley Wed 19-Dec-12 00:16:15

I have been and would say anything goes, although I wouldn't wear jeans.

Anything smartish, but trying too hard will make you stand out a mile.

valiumredhead Wed 19-Dec-12 10:38:25

Low key classic but don't dress up too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now