Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would a hairdresser touch my hair?

(12 Posts)
SantaJaxx Sun 16-Dec-12 13:58:49

My hair is in really bad condition. 20 years of home hair dyes, perms (it was the 90's blush and a bout of post pregnancy hair loss have left it in an awful state. It used to be really thick and curly and in great condition. Now it's very thin and weak, breaks very easily and I'm very thin on top. sad

I have to keep dyeing it now as almost all my roots are grey (at the grand old age of 34)! hmm It's been dark brown for about 6 years now, I can't really get it any other colour as they won't work over the dark brown. I'm trying to slowly get it a reddy auburn colour, so atm I have 2 tone hair, bottom half is dark brown and top half is medium red. grin

I know in order to get the whole of my hair red it would have to be bleached first and I'm honestly not sure if a hairdresser would risk doing that in case my hair fell out? blush

Meta4 Sun 16-Dec-12 14:05:15

Have you thought of using henna? My dark brown hair was dried to a crisp after years if dyeing/straightening, and since I've used henna (2 yrs) it's honestly never been in better condition. A long as the henna you buy is 100% body art quality (i.e. pure, no chemicals) and you do allergy and strand tests, you should be fine to use it.

Mine has a red/auburn tinge to it under a light or in the sunshine.

Check the Henna for Hair site for further info.

Delayingtactic Sun 16-Dec-12 14:06:08

I wouldn't trust a hairdresser that says they would do it tbh. But I would perhaps try and find a more gentle hair dye because surely a bit of grey now is better than no hair later?!

GobblersSparklyExplodingKnob Sun 16-Dec-12 14:12:27

Henna has transformed my very over processed (years or bleaching) hair. After a year of henna it is thick, swingy and glossy.

GobblersSparklyExplodingKnob Sun 16-Dec-12 14:13:47

Oh hello Jax is that you?

<squints>

Or are you another Jax? In which case ignore me, I'm harmless smile

Lexiesinclair Sun 16-Dec-12 14:27:19

A good hairdresser wouldn't bleach hair that's in such poor condition. You could risk it snapping right off. You'd be better off using a conditioning semi permanent colour or getting it cut short .

Leverette Sun 16-Dec-12 14:45:34

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NagooHoHoHo Sun 16-Dec-12 17:53:46

You can get the dye stripped rather than bleaching it. But if it's snapping off I'd cut it off (and have).

You can do it yourself, I went from dark brown to a nice red, but if you strip the colour you will need to use a semi-permanent dye.

CallMeRoger Sun 16-Dec-12 18:01:54

I've just bought a colour remover by Adee Phelan, it removes all of the hair dye from your hair. I'm going to do mine later so i'll pop back and let you know how i get on.

SantaJaxx Sun 16-Dec-12 22:19:22

Thank you. I think I'll try Henna then and see how that works on my hair.

mirpuppet Sun 16-Dec-12 22:41:59

I was going to recommend henna as well. Good luck. And checkout the henna for hair site.

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 16-Dec-12 23:23:00

please get a really decent cut, and make sure that you don't over process your hair day-to-day. A good quality shampoo and conditioner, comb or brush gently and slowly to avoid snaps, avoid blow drying/straightening as much as poss

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now