Talk

Advanced search

Why is my hair frizzing up an hour after I straighten it??

(7 Posts)
tangofan Wed 12-Dec-12 20:14:30

Can anyone help with this? I have straightened my hair for nearly 10 years with GHD's (on 2nd pair, which are now about 4 years old), I use heat protection spray, get the dry ends cut off,use decent shampoo/conditioner and up till the last few months didn't have any issues despite a daily straighten but these days I've noticed on the days I wash it I hardly get an hour of straight hair before it frizzed up like I've been walking around outside on a damp,drizzly day. I've ended up re-doing it so often that now if I'm planning a night out I have to leave enough time to re-do it or wash it the day before so that its had 2 straightens.
It's really just the top layer(I have long-layered quite thick hair) but I'm sure I'm drying it thoroughly so was wondering if it is the age of the GHDs? I have tried cleaning them of build-up but it made no difference.
Can anyone advise before I splash out on a new pair(google results so far inconclusive regarding the life-expectancy of them!)
Thank you!

Djembe Wed 12-Dec-12 21:08:04

What heat protection spray do you use? That'd be my first switch before blaming the straighteners. Products like that build up on the hair, causing badly behaved hair. I'd go with doing a mask of olive oil or coconut oil if you have any, then washing your hair with a clarifying shampoo and light conditioner - Head and Shoulders does the trick - and don't use a styling product before straightening. See if that makes your hair stay straight - if so, it's product build-up that's the problem, and dryness caused by repeated use of a product containing silicones causes dryness as the natural oils can't build up that make it shiny - hence the oil mask.

Can you tell I've had similar issues in the past?! Not now <swishes> grin

kaumana Wed 12-Dec-12 21:29:09

On a daily basis I use shampoo, conditioner and 3 days straight spray + GHDs but still get good hair for only about an hour or so. Recently started using a smoothing creme for post straightening and that has made a big difference, also the day after using an overnight coconut oil treatment is always a good hair day.

tangofan Thu 13-Dec-12 07:25:45

I've tried switching heat protection sprays, as I originally thought that was the problem. Used to use 3days straight then changed when the problems started, then tried others, now on Tresemme stuff.
Going to look for coconut/olive oil treatments-any names?
Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated and will be experimenting..<envious of Djembe's swish>

EuroShagmore Thu 13-Dec-12 07:54:39

I suspect so much straightening has stripped the hair or all its natural oils. I agree with the advice to use oil treatments. I would also suggest <gasp> taking a break from the straightners if you can bear it.

Djembe Thu 13-Dec-12 11:49:12

OP just use pure olive oil out of your kitchen cupboard! A few drops, rub your hands together and run over your hair from about halfway down to the ends. Scoop into a ponytail and leave to soak in for a few hours if poss, then just wash as normal. I use coconut oil now - a big jar from the food section in Tesco costs about £6 and lasts forever.

Motocconoil and the like are good for styling but do contain silicones, and it sounds like your hair needs a break from them. Use them, but not every time you wash your hair to give it a chance to breathe.

tangofan Fri 14-Dec-12 15:59:16

Thank you! Will be trying that soon...smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now