Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What are your cheap as chips beauty and perfume favourites?

(41 Posts)
YouOldTinsellySlag Wed 12-Dec-12 13:38:13

For under a fiver? I recently bought L'Aimant Fleur de Rose perfume for 1.99, Neutrogena Norwegian Formula handcream for about 3.50 and I also love Collection 2000 black eyeliner pens ( about 3.99 I think? they last for MONTHS).

Just nosey and frugal and in an all male house (DH and 2 DSs).

KrisMoose Wed 12-Dec-12 13:48:39

rosehip oil by Naissance on Amazon - best serum ever, and it helps with spotty skin.

Does it have to be under a fiver?

Lottapianos Wed 12-Dec-12 13:54:33

Astral moisturiser - about £3 a tub
Tesco Body Lotion for £1.15 - not brilliant but not bad either
2true make-up in Superdrug - lipglosses are great and not at all drying, everything is £1.99
Oil Cleansing Method - bottle of oil for £2-3, lasts ages
Rosewater as a toner - less than a quid a bottle

babybarrister Wed 12-Dec-12 13:54:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YouOldTinsellySlag Wed 12-Dec-12 14:24:18

Kris, no, doesn't have to be, but I don't often have more than that and wanted to know what other people swear by despite more expensive alternatives.

I have loads of perfumes for instance, all under a tenner and non of them smell cheap ( especially gorgeous Cabotine!)

I just thank that it CAN be done despite media pressure to spend ridiculous amounts.

Furoshika Wed 12-Dec-12 14:26:19

Olive oil facial every evening
Lidl moisturiser is ok

TheHoHoHonlyWayisGerard Wed 12-Dec-12 14:31:47

MUA eye shadow palettes. £4 and on 3 for 2 at the minute. Really high pigment, I think they're very similar to Urban Decay.
Barry M nail polish. I like the magnetic ones.
Vaseline. Cheap and cheerful.
Pond's cold cream. Like this a lot, very reasonably priced.

BieneMaja Wed 12-Dec-12 14:38:29

Tesco skin wisdom beauty balm. Fantastic

LizaTarbucksAuntie Wed 12-Dec-12 14:41:23

I'll second MUA - tried after a recommendation on here and slowly building up a collection.

Also love the simple range.

KrisMoose Wed 12-Dec-12 14:43:19

Soap and Glory Clean On Me Shower Gel - just the best there is, and means I can skip body lotion afterwards if I'm rushing. I think it's £8.

BornToFolk Wed 12-Dec-12 14:43:25

MUA make up in general but their eyeliner in particular is great, really soft.

Nivea Soft is the best night cream ever for me.

Superdug Vitamin E oil is lovely on dry skin this time of year.

AntoinetteCosway Wed 12-Dec-12 14:47:15

Pretty much everything by Sleek, especially their eye shadow palettes.

QueefLatina Wed 12-Dec-12 14:52:28

Sleek Makeup from Superdrug, especially the eyeshadow palettes as they're just like Urban Decay Naked.

DIY asprin facemasks with a bit of honey in.

Porridge oats tied in muslin and dropped in the bath. Scrub knees and other dry bits and it's very moisturising. A bit of lavender in them as well is a great relaxer.

Sugar and olive oil makes good body scrub.

Most of them aren't really products but are cheap and do the job!

survivingwinter Wed 12-Dec-12 20:34:57

I never spend more than a fiver on beauty products so have a few!
Jergens extra moisturising hand cream - amazing and gorgeous smell
Superdrug 'Natural High' facial scrub
Accessorize eye shadows are lovely and last ages

Must have a smell of that perfume OP - that's a bargain!!

anniewoo Wed 12-Dec-12 21:26:03

Mua eye pencil.
Barry M lip crayon
Nivea (Deep Blue tin) and Nivea Soft cream
Bourjois eye pencil
Supedrug Vitamin E moisturiser

coffeeinbed Wed 12-Dec-12 21:29:07

Boots Botanics sensitive skin serum/moisturiser.
Brilliant stuff.

kaumana Wed 12-Dec-12 21:37:58

Mua- makeup in general esp eye shadows
Soap and Glory -Breakfast scrub, Great body scrub, smells good enough to eat
Avon- Tahitian Holiday perfume, smells like holiday
Palmers - Body lotions
Maybeline- mascaras

SrirachaGirl Wed 12-Dec-12 21:43:17

Jojoba Oil. Absolutely magic. I use it as a makeup remover/cleanser and nighttime moisturizer. My skin is clearer, softer and more balanced than it has ever been. You can also use it on your hair.

You can't buy for under a fiver but a little goes a LONG way and it's multi-purpose so very good value.

ENormaSnob Wed 12-Dec-12 21:56:23

Olay daily moisturising fluid, SPF 15. About 4 quid. Love it.

Boots eye make up remover pads, in a small blue tub. Less than 3 quid. Usually on 3 for 2. As good as Lancôme.

Cheapo lip balm tubes from home bargains. One strawberry, 2 blue original in a pack. About 89p for all 3. Easily as good as the leading brands and better than Vaseline pots IMO.

Glossynotflossy Wed 12-Dec-12 21:56:58

Barry M nail varnish
2 True nail varnish

kaumana Wed 12-Dec-12 22:19:27

2 True nail varnish- is fab, cheap as chips, great colours and lasts FOREVER on toe nails.

YouOldTinsellySlag Wed 12-Dec-12 22:58:28

Enorma- I use that exact moisturisung fluid and that exact lip balm set of 3 from Home Bargains. The former is excellent and the latter has lasted me about six months so far.

You obviously have impeccable taste like what I have got.

surviving winter- it's Gres Cabotine and I think I got mine for 9.95 for 30ml online, but recently bagged a 100ml bottle for 6.95 on ebay. It's gorgeous and green. I'm always snaffling under-a-tenner perfume online.

Nobody round here smells like me! wink

kiwigirl42 Wed 12-Dec-12 23:28:01

the perfume parlour do perfume oils which are copies of well known perfumes. They have a HUGE list to choose from. I bought the shalimar copy and its really lovely and a good interpretation. Cheap as chips - about £3 for a small roller bottle which will last ages

Selks Wed 12-Dec-12 23:32:51

Sudocrem. Seriously good for sorting out minor seb derm around my nose and mild rosacea. Brilliant stuff.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Wed 12-Dec-12 23:52:46

Kiwi I've just purchased two from there on your recommendation!! I hope they're good. Have no £ for the real deal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: