Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fingers like iceicles! What to wear on them?

(6 Posts)
PretzelTime Tue 04-Dec-12 16:49:53

It's really bloody cold here, and I need something proper to wear on my hands! My classy leather gloves are zero help and neither are my wool gloves! What helps you when it's really cold? Mittens? Layering? ....muffs?

DonaAna Tue 04-Dec-12 17:05:55

I'm from very far north and when it's really cold (down to -25C) I wear mittens.
Thinsulate lined mittens are great. The other alternative is to wear wool gloves inside wool mittens. Avoid synthetics - acrylic gloves are really cold.

On less cold days I wear cashmere-lined leather gloves.

Layering anything is the way to go. Long underwear, long-sleeved undershirts. I often have four to five layers on me and that way even very cold air is tolerable.

kernowgal Tue 04-Dec-12 17:15:14

Definitely mittens, maybe with a merino or silk liner (plus the thinsulate mentioned above). Definitely no synthetic fabrics (maybe apart from fleece). Agree entirely on the layering - I work outside and this is the only way I can stay warm, especially if there's a cold wind too (brrrrr).

PretzelTime Tue 04-Dec-12 17:33:05

Thank you, mittens with thinsulate it is then! Do you recommend any specific brands?

Pineapplelady Tue 04-Dec-12 18:19:14

I have some fleece gloves from a company jolly a few years back - black and discreet, and they keep my fingers reasonably warm on the school run. But when it's REALLY cold - especially walking the dog - I wear these. Not exactly stylish but not too bad either (they're actually completely black, not like the patterned ones in the picture). The kids have them and love theirs so I thought I'd get a pair too, and I have to say the fleecy padding is lovely... Not sure they'd actually be warm enough to go skiing in, but they're perfect for muddy snowball fights!

Personally I think mittens would drive me crazy - much prefer a really warm pair of finger gloves!

cocobongo Tue 04-Dec-12 18:52:26

how about something like these?

ugg sheepskin gloves

£££ but sooooooo cosy. i got some last year, and they are the best thing ever. keeps my hands nice and cosy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now