Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Christmas function WWYD?

(5 Posts)
BaresarkBunny Tue 04-Dec-12 10:01:02

It's an army function so the dress code is mess dress and dj or cocktail dresses (below the knee) for guests.

I don't really know many people who are going but have been told that some women wear ball gowns but the majority wear long. I have a prom type dress which is mid calf with netting underneath. I always feel wonderful in it but I'm a bit concerned I will be the only one in that length.

Would you wear this and buck the trend or wear long and not feel as confident in what you are wearing?

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 04-Dec-12 10:03:22

I don't think people really pay attention to length in anything longer than knee-length dresses. Instead you are distracted by patterns, colours, designs - prom and cocktail dresses are usually so gorgeous that I don't think anyone will really notice the difference in length.

I'd wear the dress you feel amazing in. Your confidence will radiate, so you won't look or feel like you are bucking the trend.

We need a picture of said dress, too. I'd love an excuse to wear a really glamorous dress!

HorraceTheChristmasOtter Tue 04-Dec-12 10:19:34

Wear it! Put up a pic of it too! would love to see it smile. I have an electric blue satin dress with a black lace overlay for things like this, tis from the 50's and gorgeous.

AmberNectarine Tue 04-Dec-12 13:00:04

As long as you're sure of the dress code - I have heard tale of people being asked to leave army functions for wearing knee length...

BaresarkBunny Tue 04-Dec-12 13:31:32

The dress code is 100% cocktail. In my experience the dress code now are less likely to state long but I would never go in a dress above the knee, even if I did have the legs for it which I most definitely do not.

I will try and post links. The prom one is only from debenhams and is black. The long one is from Monsoon and is a plum colour in gorgeous heavy material. I'd wear the black one with my boloro with a chinese collar and the plum one with a pashmina.

I think I'll get both dry cleaned in case I have a wibble on the day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now