Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

best 'cone and sulphate free products for dry highlighted hair

(22 Posts)
fooolofbeans Tue 04-Dec-12 06:49:10

My hair's a bit of a dried out mess and I seem to be reading a lot about the all round mankiness of using products containing 'cones and sulphates.

Can anyone recommend a sulphate free shampoo that is specific to blonde hair (my current john frieda one is purple to stop brassiness)?

and a 'cone free intensive conditioner? i sleep with coconut oil on my hair but still need to wash and deep condition on a morning because its in such a poor state.

TIA

fooolofbeans Tue 04-Dec-12 13:35:20

bumpity bump

creamsoda Tue 04-Dec-12 17:48:40

purpleshampoo

creamsoda Tue 04-Dec-12 17:49:35

Although not sure if you can get in uk so might be as useful as a chocolate teapot ;)

fooolofbeans Tue 04-Dec-12 18:36:56

thanks anyway creamsoda smile just found this list so will probs be able to pick something off here list of silicone free hair products

Tweet2tweet Tue 04-Dec-12 19:49:42

I've been using the L'Oreal sulphate free range. It's good and has a selection for coloured hair. Also reasonably priced! Called L'Oreal Pure or something like that. You can get it at boots, Superdrug etc.

weblette Tue 04-Dec-12 20:02:31

Love the Loreal stuff. Smells lovely, hair in fantastic condition. Hasn't dulled blonde highlights at all.

fooolofbeans Tue 04-Dec-12 20:15:59

Thanks guys, L'Oreal it i then!

fooolofbeans Tue 04-Dec-12 20:18:46

*is

ihearsounds Tue 04-Dec-12 20:27:15

Bodyshop. Ask for a sample of their rainforest shampoo and conditioner. Also ask for a sample of their rainforest hair butter.

sunmoonstarstoo Tue 04-Dec-12 20:40:15

I'm currently using Boots Naked range, they are SLS free, I think they are silicone free as well? Not too expensive either.

fooolofbeans Tue 04-Dec-12 21:34:07

rainforest hair butter?? that sounds AMAZING plenty to go on with here guys, thanks!

do you feel like your hair is in better condition for not using products with silicones?

i've always been a sucker or Aussie 3 minute miracle, it makes my hair feel lovely, but it seems it doesnt actually improve its condition

JemimaPuddle Tue 04-Dec-12 21:45:29

The L'oreal is sulphate free but still has silicone in nearly all of it. The gold coloured bottles (for frizzy hair) are silicone free.

Sunnywithachanceofshowers Tue 04-Dec-12 21:47:46

I'm using the L'Oreal Pure stuff and I love it. My hair is definitely more shiny and softer than it was. It also lasts for a long time.

ihearsounds Tue 04-Dec-12 22:42:39

Yes I know my hair is in better condition. It looks better, feels better, I have fewer split ends, no flakiness or itchiness. I also have a lot less hair loss, it was very bad and I am surprised I wasn't bald. I have curly hair, and had to use products to stop it frizzing, now I just use something if I decide to straighten.
Plus I wash my hair less. I had to wash it every other day because of the itching and the greasiness. Now I can go a week on average depending on what I am doing. The BS one is expensive about £8 a bottle, but you need a very small amount. A bottle of shampoo lasts me about 6 or so months. So compared to old brands I used works out cheaper lol.

creamsoda Tue 04-Dec-12 23:28:20

I find no sulphates better for scalp, had awful flakiness with some shampoos. Tho I think bleach highlights don't help with the dry ends, even with coconut oil over night! Might check out that bs butter smile

fooolofbeans Wed 05-Dec-12 08:16:27

excellent i can't wait for my hair to start feeling better, i've ordered the body shop stuff, i found a code online for 50% off everything : CHRISTMAS 50% off next order

mycatlikestwiglets Wed 05-Dec-12 09:53:41

Slightly off topic but thought I'd just warn you that purple shampoo turned my highlights a fetching shade of lilac/grey a few years ago. I think it's designed to be used fairly infrequently rather than every wash like I foolishly did hmm

fooolofbeans Wed 05-Dec-12 11:03:20

thanks my cat, i also have gone for the if a little is good more must be better approach and have been using it everyday!! thinks will stick to once a week now till the bottle's used up, its got sulphates in but apparently once switching to silicone free its good to use sulphate containing products for a little while to ensure all the silicone coating is removed, no idea if that's correct or not!

i've been checking all my products and it appears my life is becoming entrapped in a silicone coated matrix! everything contains dimethicone confused

even my beloved L'Oreal mythic oil - foolish of me to hope otherwise, i s'pose blush

janmoomoo Wed 05-Dec-12 17:24:24

I have been using Organixx keratin coconut shampoo and it is really lovely. My hair was a right mess, so dry looking and frazzled. I was doing coconut oil and aussies three minute miracle all the time with no effect. Thought I would have to give up the GHDs (gasp!!). Now I have gone silicone free - it didnt work immediately, took about a month but now my hair is totally transformed. It is like actual real hair again and all swishy! I used a clarifying treatment a couple of times at the beginning as well.

I think using silicone shampoo and conditioner and then straightening it for the last five years just sealed it right on like varnish and made it so brittle. Now I don't mind using a little L'oreal oil - I love it too but I put it on after I have dried and straightened so I am not cooking it on. Just using that little bit of silicone seems to be OK.

PerryCombover Wed 05-Dec-12 17:27:07

Rusk stuff
I paid a fortune and then it was in tk maxx for 3p
Truth was that my hair was awful without silicone products

JemimaPuddle Thu 06-Dec-12 12:23:32

Which clarifying treatment did you use Janmoomoo?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now