Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What's your skincare routine?

(33 Posts)
browneyedpixie Sun 02-Dec-12 20:18:50

I'm approaching my 30s and have started to really think about my skin.
Wondered what everyone else's routine was as different assistants in stores have given different advice.
I've discovered serum and I'm loving it the testers I've been given to try. Especially the Tata Harper however it's out if my budget! hmm

browneyedpixie Mon 03-Dec-12 12:23:25

Cheeky bump?

YouCanBe Mon 03-Dec-12 12:43:13

Wash face in the shower in the morning, baby wipe make-up off in the evening.

I am probably not the right person to ask...

AsparagusFern Mon 03-Dec-12 13:33:07

As someone safely ensconced in their 30s (am 35) will tell you what I know (for what it's worth!).

For cleansing:
Up until very recently, I was another baby wipe devotee like YouCan. Didn't see the point in any other methods as baby wipes / face wipes seem so effective. Cream cleansers with cotton wool always left my face feeling tacky afterwards; foaming washes were too drying. A few months back however, read that face wipes contain tons of alcohol and preservatives (that's how they stay wet in their packets) so thought I should reassess. Discovered hot cloth cleansing in Sali Hughes' column in The Guardian. Use Avene Extremely Gentle cleanser with it as I thought that as I get older, need something that isn't paint stripping. Love the feel of a hot cloth now - am addicted!

For moisturising:
Still experimenting as am 'blessed' with starting to see fine lines whilst still getting spots! So I need an effective moisturiser but one that doesn't clog pores - so non comedogenic is a must. Would be interesting to see what others with this combo have found. Boots Time Delay Wrinkle Prevention doesn't bring me out in spots. Have also started using Olay 3 point serum for forehead and under eyes (areas most in danger of getting wrinkly). Gets a lot of rave reviews on interwebs.

Would like to go more organic though, so may phase in Green People stuff next.

formerdiva Mon 03-Dec-12 13:34:16

I'm 41, and recently settled into the following routine:

Am: Clarisonic with Simple face wash, rosehip oil, dermalogica eye cream, a face cream (still not found one I'm amazed by, so tend to float)

pm: Clarisonic with Liz Earle C&P and then muslin cloth it off for added exfoliation. Rosehip oil and every other night retin a cream

Any recommendations for a great face cream welcome!

trumpalot Mon 03-Dec-12 13:40:10

loving the idea of rosehip oil... where do u get it formerdiva?

i wash my face everymorning (no soap/cold water) and do not wear any make up ever.

same at night if i remember x
am 41 and have had all sorts of routines in the past using all sorts of potions a nd lotions.. would love to start up again.. loved elderberry eye gel that i used to keep in the fridge from body shop... am off to see if they still do it bfn!

AsparagusFern Mon 03-Dec-12 13:53:15

Hmm, rosehip oil does sound lovely. Anyone know if it would be okay with spot prone skin though?

browneyedpixie Mon 03-Dec-12 14:08:51

Thanks for the replies!
I've heard great stuff on that clarisonic!

browneyedpixie Mon 03-Dec-12 14:10:30

Also I've tried a sample of liz Earle and its pretty nice!

posyplum Mon 03-Dec-12 14:18:08

I use an Elemis cleanser and toner (all lovely) and a berts bees eye cream and moisturiser (use the day one for both). I normally buy Elemis moisturiser but couldn't afford it and the Bert's bees one is a lovely, cheaper replacement.

laptopdancer Mon 03-Dec-12 16:41:44

I'm just running out of alpha H cleanser, which I won't buy again. Then I either use aldi serum and moisturiser or liquid gold

HyvaPaiva Mon 03-Dec-12 19:55:36

I'm 30. My routine is:

Morning: Eve Lom Morning Time Cleanser followed by Steamcream and then Superdrug Natural Radiance Balm

Night: Same again but without the balm

Once a week: Exfoliate with Origins Never a Dull Moment

Once a week: Face mask using Silica Mud Mask from the Blue Lagoon in Iceland

It took me years to get the perfect products and routine for my skin and I'm delighted with my mixture of some high-end and some very cheap products. I really recommend all of these to anyone whose skin needs some plumping.

browneyedpixie Mon 03-Dec-12 22:39:18

Exactly what I'm after! Plumping up! Never thought I would say that!

JemimaPuddle Tue 04-Dec-12 07:46:27

I'm 35, combination skin with some pigmentation which was really bad after having my youngest in January.

Morning: cleanse with alpha h balancing cleanser, alpha h eye gel, alpha h perfecting daywear serum & lastly SPF 50
Evening: cleanse with balancing cleanser again to remove makeup, alpha h eye cream then alpha h night cream. Every other night I just use liquid gold after cleansing.

Once a week I use an exfoliating mask followed by a deep cleansing mask.

And no I don't work for Alpha H!!

laptopdancer Tue 04-Dec-12 11:38:51

I dont get on with the alpha h cleanser..I find it very drying and I need at least 3 applications to remove my minimal makeup. Liquid gold is nice but I havent noticed a major difference in my skin and have been using for months.
Im after a new product.

Any recommendations for 47 year old skin welcome.

Mumelie Tue 04-Dec-12 13:42:48

I used bare minerals face wash morning and night followed by bare minerals eye cream and moisturiser for combination skin. I wear full make up (all bare minerals) every day and use Simple face wipes to remove before washing at night.
I've only recently started using these products as at 39 my skin has good crazy with break outs and dry skin. Seems to be calming down since though.

Rooble Tue 04-Dec-12 13:55:15

I'm 43 and :
Morning - wash with warm water, put on Boots Botanticals rosehip oil, the Nivea Q10 day cream;
Night - clean make-up off with either Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish, or Sanctuary equivalent; put on Nivea Q10 night cream and Liz Earle eye cream.
Have tried all sorts of expensive lotions and potions over the years but find Nivea the most reliable. Love the hot cloth at night as my face feels really clean.
Just made a hideous and distressing discovery this weekend: one of the biggest causes of rubbishy skin, puffy and baggy eyes is too much alcohol. Had been on a diet for about 12 months which involved approx 3-5 units of alcohol per week MAX. Had mad weekend away with DH this W/e and returned looking about 135. Sad but true- party days are well and truly over.

JemimaPuddle Tue 04-Dec-12 14:02:51

laptopdancer I've not found it drying but have combination skin, prone to breakouts so maybe that's why? I wear heavy makeup every day & it's one of the few that seems to remove it all first time.

Although u use liquid gold it's not my favourite product if theirs although I always get it in kits which is why I have it. I think the effects are supposed to be long term though. I really rate their liquid gold intensive night repair serum, it's expensive but makes a massive difference to my skin.

The other cleanser I love is Emma Hardie Moringa balm, have you tied that?

JemimaPuddle Tue 04-Dec-12 14:03:14

I not u!

JemimaPuddle Tue 04-Dec-12 14:03:59

Tried not tied! iPhone ffs

laptopdancer Tue 04-Dec-12 14:07:15

No! Will have a look thanks smile

JemimaPuddle Tue 04-Dec-12 14:09:48

There is a TSV of Emma hardie coming up on QVC in a couple of weeks, might be worth waiting for that if you want to give it a go.

ethelb Tue 04-Dec-12 14:51:45

clinique or liz earle cleanse and tone with body shop seaweed spf moistuiser

i scrub with soap and glory peppermint face scrub once a week in summer and twice a week in winter.

browneyedpixie Tue 04-Dec-12 18:48:03

I've had really bad breakout
Sick of my skin

StockingFilly Tue 04-Dec-12 18:52:23

At night I take make-up off initially with cotton wool pads and Simple cleanser. Then wash face with Eve Lom eash off cleanser and a hot cloth - its the only really pricey product I cant wean myself off. Thrn I moisturise with a bog standard night cream from Boots own brand, or occasionally gove myself a facial massage with rose oil if my skin feels very dry. Dab on Cliniqye eye cream under my eyes and slap on coconut lip balm after I brush my teeth.

Mornings I just wash my face woth water and apply Simple spf15 moisturiser and lip balm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now