Talk

Advanced search

Jillian Michaels.

(23 Posts)
plaingirly Sun 02-Dec-12 10:01:16

So I think she is fab! Plus she is short like me but about half my weight.

I want a couple of her DVDs ... does anyone have any favourites?

Has anyone tried her Body Revolution series? Tempted by that although it is expensive.

I am super unfit though with about 60 pounds to lose. Are her workouts bad on the knees? Do you need a lot of space / equipment?

LilyVonSchtupp Sun 02-Dec-12 10:13:20

I think she is fab too.

I have Shred which I think a lot of people on here recommend. I did this last summer (the workout though, not the diet) and people commented how much better I looked within weeks. This is about a fiver on Amazon or you could try EBay.

I also just bought Six Pack in Six Weeks hmm which was just £3.50 on Amazon. It looks much harder so I might just stick with Shred for now. You need a mat, trainers (obviously!) and hand weights, though you can go without the weights initially.

I am not overweight though, just very unfit and flabby untoned.

AntoinetteCosway Sun 02-Dec-12 10:17:08

The Shred is brilliant.

(Because it works, not just because I have a giant crush on her. DH finds this hilarious.)

LadyIsabellaWrotham Sun 02-Dec-12 10:44:09

Shred is very tough on the knees though, unless you substitute punches for all the aerobic work, which would be a bit dull. 6W6P is perhaps a better bet for the wobbly of knee.

Meggles76 Sun 02-Dec-12 11:06:59

I have 30 day shred DVD and ripped in 30 DVD. I pick and choose different workouts and aim to do it 3x week combined with running twice weekly. I have never been as toned as I am now. DH is in awe of my stomach muscles!!! And I get lots of comments from friends about how trim I look.
I don't particularly like Jillian. Bit of a shouty woman who is full of herself. BUT I love the results of her workouts!

plaingirly Sun 02-Dec-12 11:47:25

I love her! No one I know seems to understand it!

The Body Revolution is a 90 programme of DVDs but it is £100 ..... a lot of money!

I don't have knee issues at all but I wondered if the DVDs would give me knee problems or if it was only an issue for people with existing problems.

She has so many DVDs out - looking through amazon now. And books!

I want to be slim and strong rather than just losing weight to be skinny.

I don't have a great deal of space though.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Sun 02-Dec-12 12:00:19

You don't need loads of space, just enough to lie flat on the floor with your arms spread wide should do it.

I'd start with the Shred and a decent pair of trainers then. Go from there (perhaps Ripped). No need to shell out a hundred quid.

gypsyfloss Sun 02-Dec-12 14:08:09

Second starting with the Shred and work on from there. It's amazing. I also love 6week6pack but am not so keen on some of the others cos her bossiness gets on my nerves.

I have body revolution which I had to abandon as it was causing more aches than it was curing and I was doing it after a year of doing her other stuff 6 days/wk. It's a bit hardcore if you're just starting out.

Hetaera Sun 02-Dec-12 15:17:01

I third Shred! You just can't make excuses when the workout is only 20 minutes.
Jillian is amazing. I know it sounds stupid, but there is a little bit of love in each of her workouts. I thought I would be irritated or intimidated by her, but that couldn't be further from the truth.
If you get on well with Shred, then do try 6 week 6 pack and perhaps killer buns and thighs or ripped in 30. You can alternate them all and create your own workout programme similar to body revolution.

BunnyLebowski Sun 02-Dec-12 15:27:05

She is a goddess

I have lost 25lbs in the last month by shredding 4/5 times a week (and dramatically changing my diet).

Thank you Jillian grin

plaingirly Sun 02-Dec-12 15:37:50

So maybe I stick with MFP for my calories and do -

Monday - Zumba 1 hour then Shred
Tuesday - Zumba 1 hour
Wednesday - Rest or Yoga
Thursday - Shred
Friday - Shred the weights (or the other way around?!)
Saturday - exercise bike and Shred
Sunday - exercise bike and Shred

Does that sound ok? No idea what I am doing really as I am new to this fitness stuff!

Any suggestions?

bunny 25 pounds in a MONTH!! Wow!!

Pisces Sun 02-Dec-12 15:40:32

shock BUNNY

NewNames Sun 02-Dec-12 15:51:31

Level 1 of 30 day shred on YouTube here www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pc-NizMgg8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Do you do this every day??

Quodlibet Sun 02-Dec-12 16:05:06

I love Jillian too and have become slightly addicted to watching Losing It on YouTube . Seconding these recommendations to get a few DVDs and circulate them so you don't get bored.

Plaingirly that is an impressive schedule! You might need another rest day in there somewhere to allow your body some recovery time but I reckon you'd see results super fast doing that.

Bunny that is so impressive. Sneaked a look at your photos and you are killing it in that dress.

plaingirly Sun 02-Dec-12 18:03:01

Losing It is amazing!!

Might have to build up to that schedule - been going to Zumba for 2 weeks and have been on the exercise bike twice last week. Big jump to add in the Shred!

Really want to see results!

Mu1berries Sun 02-Dec-12 21:22:57

don't get body revolution. big swizz.

i'd start with 30ds
then get 6w6p
ripped in 30 which has four levels and 2,3&4 are all tough workouts.
nmtz the conditioning one is good for toning
bfbm is the cardio one.
ES&S has two levels. It's no harder than ripped though despite the word extreme in the title. there are box sets on amazon where you can get about four of these for £15. body revolution is about £100!

hermioneweasley Sun 02-Dec-12 21:25:20

I love Jillian. The cardio can be hard on the knees but I just substitute with less crippling things. I lost inches (but no weight) ....

JambalayaWarmMincePie Sun 02-Dec-12 21:31:38

Just a word of warning, when she gets you to windmill your arms, don't do it in the vicinity of your ridiculously low living room ceiling light, therefore scattering shards of ridiculously expensive energy saving lightbulb across the floor, meaning you have to stop the workout to get cleaning. Ridiculous. grin

ChristmasFairyLights Sun 02-Dec-12 21:49:25

Shred is available on YouTube so you could try it out before you invest and it sits on the shelf taunting you

Mu1berries Sun 02-Dec-12 22:53:27

same here hermioneweasley, I didn't lose a gram. but I think I looked like I had lost weight. A bit.

toofattorun Mon 03-Dec-12 01:19:34

I bought the 30 day shred DVD about a year ago and it's still in the cellophane wrapping cause I'm such a lazy cow and it's great!! blush

Quodlibet Mon 03-Dec-12 09:34:23

Remember that a pound of fat takes up more space than a pound of muscle, so you could build muscle, lose fat, be much smaller and trimmer and healthier than before and theoretically weigh more than when you started.

plaingirly Mon 03-Dec-12 19:55:56

Just back from Zumba!

Will have a watch of the Shred on Youtube to see what is involved / how possible it is.

I want to get strong not just slim! Jillian has an amazing figure - wonder how much she weighs and how much exercise she does a week ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now