Talk

Advanced search

Absolute crap in the shops - or is it just me?

(8 Posts)
DolomitesDonkey Sun 02-Dec-12 05:01:48

Firstly, I need to congratulate myself - I made a decision in January not to buy ANY new clothes in 2012 - and it's been fine, in fact I still have stuff in my wardrobe with the labels attached. blush

However I'm having a special lunch this week and though I'd treat myself - admittedly I didn't spend too long in town, but what junk!? The low-end/cheap stuff was a testament to nylon, and the more expensive stuff was also junk. Is it just me or are pickings slim right now? Did I just make the mistake of going shopping in December and so they're trying to palm off any old shiny/sequined tat?

blue2 Sun 02-Dec-12 06:13:44

I think you're right. The shops are full of cheap looking clothes ATM. I haven't bought much for a while. They're trying to keep prices as low as possible and compromise on the quality.

Or am I just getting old??!!

DolomitesDonkey Sun 02-Dec-12 09:36:57

Ha! Perhaps we are indeed getting old. There seems to be a massive gap in quality. Either nylon shite or brora prices. Nothing nice around 50 quid iykwim.

Charliefox Sun 02-Dec-12 09:44:25

I never see anything nice in the shops but I think it's just me cos if I go shopping with a certain friend, she picks up loads of stuff and always looks amazing. I think she's just got a great eye.

Tweet2tweet Sun 02-Dec-12 09:48:37

I agree, am shocked at the higher end brands all doing polyester mix etc. I buy more and more in charity shops now. Had my eye on a Monsoon kimono style top and just got it for £4 at charity shop!

DolomitesDonkey Sun 02-Dec-12 10:01:47

Yes, that's my issue too - that even if you splash a bit of cash it's still highly flammable garbage.

If you're a fashion designer your strapline should never be "100% polyester mix!".

I am getting old and miserable and yearning after the quality and durability of the 70s. I don't want to lift something up to the light and be able to read a book through it.

DolomitesDonkey Sun 02-Dec-12 10:02:33

I should add, I didn't even see anything nice at 100 or even 200 quid.

BrianButterfield Sun 02-Dec-12 10:06:34

Yep, it's all junk. I am a shopping fan and I love buying clothes but I haven't bought anything for ages now as it all feels flimsy, static-y and crap. All that acrylic knitwear sets my teeth on edge.

I get my shopping kicks buying clothes for DS - at least kid's clothes still come in 100% cotton.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now