Talk

Advanced search

Barbour Jacket?

(16 Posts)
CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Thu 29-Nov-12 10:17:02

I have had a dreadful time this winter trying to get a coat. I bought a gorgeous burgundy double breasted military style coat from Miss Selfridge back in October but all the buttons fell off and the pockets went through so I had to take it back. sad
Since then I have been round the shops countless times trying to find something with no success.
One of my FB friends posted a picture of herself wearing a Barbour jacket and then another woman came into my work wearing one yesterday. They both looked great, the jackets looked really warm and well cut.
So I went on the website this morning to take a look. Do any MNers have one? Are they as warm as they look? What is the sizing like? I wouldn't normally come on here with so many questions but because of the price it would be a real investment purchase for me and I would need it to last at least two or three years.
All responses/alternative recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

dexter73 Thu 29-Nov-12 10:20:41

What kind of jacket is it? Can you post a link?

whistlestopcafe Thu 29-Nov-12 10:22:22

The fact that it has a logo on would put me off.

BunnyLebowski Thu 29-Nov-12 10:22:51

If you meant those quilted ones they are done to death.

Knock-offs on every market stall in the land.

And not even nice imo.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Thu 29-Nov-12 10:32:25

Here are some links to two I like:

Duffle Coat

Other Coat

I am not so keen on the ones with big logos on either, a bit too football hooligan for my tastes.

And Bunny I would hope at these prices it looks better than something I could get at the market!!

dexter73 Thu 29-Nov-12 10:35:17

I have a quilted Barbour jacket (am not a football hooligan or a chav) and it is lovely but not that warm. The duffle coat does look like a warm coat. I would say sizing is true to size.

BunnyLebowski Thu 29-Nov-12 10:37:05

The duffle coat is really lovely in the navy.

The other one is horrible.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Thu 29-Nov-12 10:40:08

I really love the duffle coat. It's about £150 over my budget though. I would have to give it to myself for Xmas and my birthday (which is the week after Xmas).

DewDr0p Thu 29-Nov-12 10:43:42

My neighbour has a very nice Barbour style quilted jacket from M&S. I imagine it was a fraction of the cost of a "real" one.

I'd see them more as a Spring/Autumn kind of coat I think. They have become v v popular and I wonder if fashion will move on from them quite soon? Not necessarily an issue but might not be the best investment purchase iykwim?

DeafLeopard Thu 29-Nov-12 10:52:17

I like the duffle.

The polar quilt international seems to be the default coat in the playground this year.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Thu 29-Nov-12 13:36:46

Just back from another unsuccessful coat shopping trip in town. When to JL and HoF to look at Barbours but all they had were the quilted ones and the waxed ones. None of them were really thick enough - or in fact that nice. No duffels to try on though and nothing in any other depts in HoF 40% off spectacular either. Except a Karen Millen coat which I loved but was £325.

Then I went to Superdry, lovely duffle in there and £100 cheaper than the Barbour one though. Not sure if I should really be shopping in Superdry though. Am only 32 but felt pensionable walking round in there. And everything sizes up really small so I felt like a fatty as well!!

dexter73 Thu 29-Nov-12 14:04:53

Super dry is worn by many people a lot older than you! Mind you it is another brand that is instantly recognisable.

BunnyLebowski Thu 29-Nov-12 14:07:18

Is it this one Cardiff??

It's really nice. Love the lining smile

Imo, Superdry (any brand really) are fine as long as the name isn't plastered all over the garment. Bench clothing does this and it looks so naff.

WeaselSoup Thu 29-Nov-12 14:12:32

If you go for the duffle coat one (which is lovely) it is more likely to last you 12-13 years rather than 2-3years. Their things do last. In fact it would probably last you even longer.

I'd view a coat like that as an investment buy and bloody well expect it to last that long!

I have a quilted Barbour that I've had for donkey's years and is still going strong.

Regarding sizing, I'd suggest finding a stockist and trying it on in a shop first, then have a look online to see if you can find it cheaper, or find a discount code for a stockist.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Thu 29-Nov-12 14:38:24

Yes Bunny it is that one, it is gorgeous. It is quite stiff though but I expect it would soften up after a few wears. I am going to ask DP what he reckons later. That is if he doesn't faint when he sees the prices.

I'm just disappointed that I can't try the Barbour one on in town. I don't really want to buy something that expensive without trying it on. I'm definitely leaning towards the Superdry one I think. And apart from a massive label inside, the logos on the exterior are tiny and very discreet <tasteful emoticon>

dexter73 Thu 29-Nov-12 15:11:12

The Superdry duffle is nowhere near as nice as the Barbour one. The white string for the toggles makes it look very cheap. How about this one? It comes in a range of colours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now