Talk

Advanced search

Shampoo and conditioner recommendation for fine, lank/greasy but flyaway hair

(12 Posts)
pinkpiggy Thu 29-Nov-12 10:06:18

I have bottles and bottles of products that make my hair look even more lank or flyaway or greasy. Does anyone with similar hair to me have suggestions of a good shampoo and conditioner that does not cost the earth? My hair is not coloured. Thanks

madmomma Thu 29-Nov-12 11:17:12

any old shampoo (the cheapo ones are the best for greasy hair I think) make sure it's for normal hair so there's no heavy ingredients like sillicone. Atm I'm using a teatree one (do 2 thorough shampoos each time) then leave out the conditioner and instead get some bumble & bumble prep spray. It's available on the net and though it's expensive as an outlay (about £14) you only need a couple of sprays to knock out the flyaways + detangle. So it'll last you a year. It's the mutt's nuts for hair like ours. Sometimes I put shampoo on my scalp before I get in the shower, then add more in the shower and wash as normal.

DonaAna Thu 29-Nov-12 12:58:55

I have the same problem and the best series I've found is Wella Pro Series (big red plastic bottles). Does not weigh my hair down, leaves it manageable but cleans well. I always see a difference when I use something else (for example when I'm travelling).

Costs about 5 euros per bottle. Has won many prizes. I like the products so much that I actually buy them in bulk from my trips.

Go easy on conditioner or go without. And avoid anything that has oils in it. Many shampoos designed for thicker and coarser hair types (for example here in Italy) have so much oils and silicones in them that my hair feels dirtier after washing than it was before.

pinkpiggy Thu 29-Nov-12 15:09:42

Thanks, will take a look at them. If I go without conditioner my hair looks awful though. Are there any conditioners good for my type of hair?

pinkpiggy Thu 29-Nov-12 15:12:37

Eek. Looked at the prices of the suggested products. Are there any cheaper alternatives on the market?

Mintyy Thu 29-Nov-12 15:16:18

I use Aussie volumising shampoo (helps with the fineness), no conditioner, and wash it every 2 days. There's no product I am aware of that can combat greasiness.

DonaAna Thu 29-Nov-12 15:17:11

Wella Pro Series conditioners are also good - but use as little as possible.

iseenodust Thu 29-Nov-12 15:17:53

I like Aussie 'Aussome Volume' for fine hair. there is a shampoo & separate conditioner - just keep away from your roots. Can find it in Boots, Tesco etc.

BranchingOut Thu 29-Nov-12 15:20:42

I have fine hair, although it isn't too oily. I have had some success with a Body Shop shampoo - no silicones. The one I use is called 'Rainforest volumising'.

If you want to break the cycle of lankness, you could also try a bicarbonate of soda wash. I did this and my hair felt so light and amazing. I don't think it is good to use all the time, but it seems to work as a one-off treatment.

FabulousFreaks Thu 29-Nov-12 18:06:05

Hi how do you do a bicarbonate of soda wash

RSVP Thu 29-Nov-12 22:20:26

I have very oily fine hair and found this APIVITA propoline shampoo and conditioner to work wonders.
It's about 25 pounds for both including p&p though

IndigoBarbie Fri 30-Nov-12 08:53:32

Hi I stopped using shampoo and hair products around 3 weeks ago in favour of going au naturale. I've been wetting hair, make a paste from bicarbonate of soda and water-massage into scalp, rinse thoroughly. Then apple cider vinegar and water rinse, then water rinse. My hair is in great condition and fuller bodied than it has ever been. Although I didn't use styling products before, I'm still not using any.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now