Talk

Advanced search

Women in business - what's with all the statement jewellery?

(8 Posts)
NotAnotherNewNappy Wed 28-Nov-12 15:21:30

Has anybody else noticed that successful/ambitious women tend to wear huge jingle jangle necklaces? I think it shows confidence and in my organisation has tuned into a competition as to which female manager has the balls to wear the most outlandish jewellery. Our youngest director has just walked into a meeting wearing a string of Xmas baubles, each one bigger than her head.

So, is it just me?

EuroShagmore Wed 28-Nov-12 15:54:14

At my place it is the admin staff who go in for the statement jewellery. The lawyers tend to be more muted (with the odd exception).

suebfg Wed 28-Nov-12 18:46:53

I see it where I work -tends to be the female directors

Tweet2tweet Wed 28-Nov-12 20:14:08

I think it's an attempt to demonstrate that they are 'creative thinkers' and still in touch with their feminine side.

At my place one of the senior directors came in with shoes, necklace and new purple streaks in hair to match. Not a great look for anyone and certainly not something to be doing in public IMO. The best bit was the streaks were a temporary thing and slowly faded to a kind of lilac rinse......

fridgepants Wed 28-Nov-12 23:42:10

I don't see any issue with having purple streaks in your hair, as long as they don't clash with the rest of it. I know people who could easily carry it off...

FrancesFarmer Thu 29-Nov-12 00:50:06

It's a cliché... gotta make a statement.

Personally, I wouldn't wear it. I don't like jewelry that's not made of what I consider to be proper materials e.g. gold, silver or platinum.

HerRoyalNotness Thu 29-Nov-12 02:15:37

grin at OP. that just tickled me. I pulled out the baroque pearls today. No one noticed. Perhaps too classy.

DonaAna Thu 29-Nov-12 09:25:16

Depends your line of work. I see a lot of power pearls - non-jangly, but the bigger the better.

I thing statement accessories serve the same role as ties - people who essentially wear an uniform want to transmit something about their personality, individuality and taste. It's also a status symbol - a way to distinguish yourself from the waitress and the interviewee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now