Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Work bag dilemma

(10 Posts)
libertychick Mon 26-Nov-12 21:42:47

I have to move around a lot during the day, don't have a fixed desk (hot desk between 3 offices) and on a daily basis am carrying around a laptop plus cable, usual handbag stuff, lots of papers, A4 folders, phone charger etc - it's all heavy and my current bags are not working. I am editing every evening to try and make sure I only bring what I need each day.

I currently have a P&M Milly bag which I wear cross body and carry a leather briefcase which is lovely but barely fits the laptop and papers. I have the cables in my milly with all the other stuff and it's hurting my neck carrying it the way I do but especially in this weather I need one arm free for an umbrella etc!

What combination of bags do other people use? I would like to be able to bring flats/trainers as I have to walk a lot between meetings etc - I am London based so in and out of Tube stations all day.

I am thinking about a small cross body bag for purse, keys, phone etc and a big shopper style bag for everything else - what do other people do and any recommendations for bags that really work in this situation?

YDdraigGoch Mon 26-Nov-12 21:48:34

I'd go for something on wheels, to avoid all the carrying.

libertychick Mon 26-Nov-12 22:07:22

I know a couple of people who do that but it just doesn't appeal - I know that sounds daft but I am always tripping over other people's on tube platforms! And it feels like I am giving in to middle age grin

It may have to be the solution though - unless someone has found the 'holy grail' of a light, reasonably stylish soft bag that has enough structure for the laptop etc....

MrsSnow Mon 26-Nov-12 22:29:45

For that volume, it has to be nice handbag for your stuff and a rucksack for the work stuff and trainers. Works every time I'm loaded to the brim.

libertychick Mon 26-Nov-12 23:08:05

So far I am considering for the big bag:

aspinal tan leather tote
fossil black tote
JL excellent value option but no room for shoes!
love it but maybe not smart enough for work?
not really! love it but definitely not work suitable - oh to be a student

For a cross body
radley brown bag
fossil black

libertychick Mon 26-Nov-12 23:10:05

Thanks Mrs Snow - I have done the rucksack thing a few times and it does make sense - might see if I can find something a bit nicer than my battered converse one though.

ceeveebee Mon 26-Nov-12 23:19:13

I went back to work after mat leave and because I now have to leave early I bring my laptop and work home every day and didn't have a big enough bag. So I looked around and got this bag.

www.amazon.co.uk/Leonhard-Heyden-Chamonix-Briefcase-Lh2245-001/dp/B007NX3TOG/ref=sr_1_20?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1353971647&sr=1-20

I bought it from ACHICA for £75. It easily fits a laptop and a4 papers in, and has pockets at the front where I keep keys, phone, purse etc. Its not leather (its lightweiggt nylon) so doesn't weigh much, and it has the option of carry handles or cross body strap. Its marginally bigger then I wanted but it works well for me so far

libertychick Mon 26-Nov-12 23:31:56

That does look very good ceeveebee - I will have a hunt around and see if I could match your price - it would hurt to pay £129 for non leather!!!

But that said, for something I would use every day I probably should spend the money. And I do need something light...

ceeveebee Mon 26-Nov-12 23:37:54

This was another site I was looking at before I spotted my bag

www.knomobags.com/uk/laptop-bags?gender=35

libertychick Mon 26-Nov-12 23:41:16

Thank you thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: