Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Would you buy a Mulberry from ebay???

(10 Posts)
Meggles76 Sun 25-Nov-12 15:51:41

I have been looking at the Mulberry effie satchel in oak which retails at £495. I love it and it's very 'me'. I am just baulking slightly at the expense!!
I saw one listed on ebay. New. All tags attached. Including Selfridges store tags. Mulberry dustbag and selfridges dust bag. I checked last week that Selfridges were selling this style of Mulberry bag. Reason given for sale is unwanted gift. Listed at £390. No bids. Seller probably willing to relist around £360 mark if I am interested.
I suppose my concern is can I be sure it's not a fake??Or am I better off just gritting my teeth and paying full price from website?

WhatEverZen Sun 25-Nov-12 16:08:28

I've bought and sold my mulberrys on ebay. Please be careful as there are a lot of fakes but there are some genuine bargains to be had, especially if you're willing to buy used.

You could always go onto the purse forum to get the bag authenticated. Lots of lovely people who are willing to check things out for you.

Hope that helps

Meggles76 Sun 25-Nov-12 16:10:23

Thank you. How do you go about getting a bag authenticated??

hiviolet Sun 25-Nov-12 16:25:10

Depends on the seller, there are a few legit Mulberry resellers but many more scammers selling fakes. Receipts can be faked so I'd be very wary. Go to The Purse Forum and ask them to authenticate the bag for you before you bid.

Glossynotflossy Sun 25-Nov-12 16:31:01

I did but only because I recognised the name of the seller as they were a purpse forum member and I chatted with them about it. They also had it authenticated on the purse forum.

You need to join the purse forum and post in the mumberry authenticate this section following the format however I think there is a number of days you may have to wait before posting but I can't remember.

Viperidae Sun 25-Nov-12 16:33:30

I would be very wary. When we were on holiday last year I was astounded at the fakes in the shops. I really could not tell the difference and I am usually fairly good.

Glossynotflossy Sun 25-Nov-12 16:34:59

Mulberry not mumberry.

I too would be cautious. If you are prepared to pay that much for a bag then contact one of the outlets like at York and Bicester that way you can be sure. Might cost a little bit more but worth it for the peace of mind.

The details of the outlets are on the mulberry site and as long as its not a sub they'll post it out for ten pounds!

Meggles76 Sun 25-Nov-12 16:48:30

Thank you all. I think you have all confirmed my own thoughts. I will give it a miss. Great idea about the outlets. I will give them a ring and see if they have any.

JuliaFlyte Sun 25-Nov-12 17:00:45

I have bought and sold Mulberry on ebay. If you are careful, chat to the seller, look carefully at the photos or as others have suggested get it looked at by TPF, then you can get the genuine article.

Allice Sun 25-Nov-12 17:53:39

The Purse Forum is your friend! There is a thread on there where they state what is available at the outlets, it's normally updated once a week or so.

I've bought and sold Mulberry's on eBay, one turned out to be a fake although I didn't realise for ages!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: