Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Affordable Mulberry?

(33 Posts)
ChateauMargot Sat 24-Nov-12 21:56:44

Can anyone recommend any sites that are legit outlets for Mulberry handbags at affordable prices? Does such a thing exist? Not sure I can justify forking out 700 quid for a handbag, but don't want to pay 200 for a knock-off, either...

Thanks in advance!

ruby22 Sat 24-Nov-12 22:12:36

No. It's basically outlet stores or wait for the sales, but still not affordable for most even then. Their bags are quite heavy and heavy on the hardware imo and a few hundred pounds can buy you a really nice bag from a less covetable brand.

emsyj Sat 24-Nov-12 22:15:57

There's an outlet store in Cheshire Oaks - no idea how much reduction you get, Mulberry's not my bag (geddit?? grin) so never been in.

ChateauMargot Mon 26-Nov-12 01:07:06

Ta for that. May have to try an outlet, if there's no online option... (or a cheaper bag!)

faustina Mon 26-Nov-12 13:42:54

would you be prepared to buy used? There are a few legit sites for that, and they do returns if you aren't happy.

DazedAndVeryConfused Mon 26-Nov-12 16:19:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mignonette Mon 26-Nov-12 16:30:51

Avoid the special skins. I have a Mulberry Alexa in calf hair leopard print and the calf hair has eroded away along the parts of the bag that suffer friction. The bag was a limited edition and so very very costly at full price and I'd have been furious had I paid the RRP (I got it reduced at a great price from a friend who works with them).

I have a 'Roxanne' in ox leather that is as tough as...an Ox actually so I'd recommend the classic bags in tougher hides. They are very heavy though and another problem I find with a lot of their designs is that unless you are wearing them cross body (and Roxanne isn't even a cross body design), they are very fiddly to extricate a purse/other item from, pay then re-fasten all while carrying other purchases etc. I have to put the Alexa and Roxanne down on the counter to undo them and re fasten them as they are not hands free and convenient.

You can get authentic Mulberry's on Ebay- the price of them is usually a good indication as they'll be going for much more. You'll need to do your research, aim for bags with receipts, dustbags and other proof.

If they are sold as authentic and are not then a criminal offence has been committed and you'll at least be able to pursue it but with varying degrees of success.

Avoid Moschino and Michael Kors bags like the plague-I have had to return both to My Wardrobe/Net A Porter respectively for faults developed soon after purchase and I have been told on good authority that these and many similar brands truly are not made very well at all. You may be better looking at a less hyped label and get something niche/exclusive and better value. I have heard good things about 'The Bridge'- Italian made leather bags.

Glossynotflossy Mon 26-Nov-12 17:09:26

If you want an older style bag look at the Mabel. Practical and stylish and easy to carry.

mignonette Mon 26-Nov-12 17:26:53

I love the 'Mabel'! I always wanted that one. Don't bother with the 'Alexa' and the 'Bayswater' is pretty ubiquitous these days....Too many of them around.

Jins Mon 26-Nov-12 17:31:22

There were a couple of Alexa's in Cheshire Oaks recently. £695 for the big one in black leather but the quality was hideous. Creased leather, patchy colours sad

I was really disappointed in them tbh. It was the first real Alexa I'd seen and the fake looked like a better buy.

mignonette Mon 26-Nov-12 17:45:04

Mine looks gorgeous but it has eroded badly. They are designed to look 'floppy' and casual but I wouldn't recommend the unusual hides/treatments in any Mulberry designs.

uggmum Mon 26-Nov-12 17:54:05

I've got 3 mulberry bags, Mitzy, Alexa hobo and an Alexa. I also have a lovely purse and matching make up pouch in bright pink. I bought the Alexa Hobo in the sale and got £300 off.

The sale should start on boxing day and it's worth being there when they open for the best deals.

I personally wouldn't buy one off eBay as you can never be certain it's not fake. Some of the fakes coming out of Turkey are very realistic you can barely tell the difference.

carrie74 Mon 26-Nov-12 18:08:38

I live near the Shepton Mallet factory and have (mostly) bought from there. It's been a long time since I've been tempted by anything in there (although I did buy a Dario hobo as my Xmas present last year in the my-wardrobe sale at 30% off. The Mulberry sale did the same mark down).

Factory store prices tend to be 30% off and you never know what's going to be in stock. I bought a Roxanne in chocolate, an orange-y Anthony satchel and a Phoebe in olive from there over several years ago. They seem to add £50 every 6 months and I'm afraid they're priced out their loyal market to pursue the medja crowd.

The purse forum is excellent for spotting fakes on eBay. H won a Bayswater last year in a work raffle and I sold it on eBay (paid for the Daria wink), and got a good price for it, and it was totally legit, so don't write it off.

EthelredOnAGoodDay Mon 26-Nov-12 18:19:59

Not sure whereabouts you are, but there's an outlet type shop in York city centre. Quite good reductions I think (never bought anything, just walked past looking in longingly! grin)

ChateauMargot Mon 26-Nov-12 21:21:38

Am in London - is Bicester the closest?

"The sale should start on boxing day and it's worth being there when they open for the best deals."

Is this re. Mulberry itself? Worth going to Selfridges on Dec 26?..

Thanks again!

LulaPalooza Mon 26-Nov-12 21:29:53

There was a Mulberry sample sale in South Molton St the other day and it was rubbish. They had purses on sale there for £115 which were £60 at Bicester Village.

ChateauMargot Mon 26-Nov-12 21:33:02

So, this is too good to be true?

http://www.mulberryoutletsuk.uk.com/product/mulberry-womens-daria-leather-shoulder-bag-black

uggmum Mon 26-Nov-12 21:38:25

The above link is for fake goods. It's been around for a while. Sorry.

chocolateteabag Mon 26-Nov-12 21:43:07

Yes, they are knock off's - they state this in the "about us" section.

I have managed to get a few bargains at the York Factory shop over the years, but prices have climbed and climbed.

Managed to get a Phoebe in Oak last year for £200, you just need to be careful to check the seller details

Viperidae Mon 26-Nov-12 21:43:53

I have had a Tilly from Cheshire Oaks and a Camera bag (like an Alexa but smaller and boxier) from Bicester, both are lovely but, having been to Turkey last year and seen how good the fakes are out there, I would not buy from anywhere but a full price store or a recognised outlet store.

chocolateteabag Mon 26-Nov-12 21:44:07

Sorry meant to say got the Phoebe on eBay!

Ohhelpohnoitsa Mon 26-Nov-12 21:59:40

Southeastdweller Mon 26-Nov-12 22:06:05

I thought the outlet stock was never, ever the popular styles and in the popular colours? Also heard that Mulberry design some bags especially for the outlets that never get sold in the concessions?

Glossynotflossy Mon 26-Nov-12 22:12:50

Ooh Viper I have a camera bag too!its got Alexa stylings but stands on its own iyswim

Ohhelpohnoitsa Mon 26-Nov-12 22:32:40

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: