Talk

Advanced search

Debenhams personal shopper. Yay or nay?

(11 Posts)
neverquitesure Sat 24-Nov-12 20:18:28

I need jeans <gulp> and at least 3 tops. Maybe a cardigan too. I have £200 and dislike shopping intensely.

Do their personal shoppers suggest things based on your body shape, or do they just fetch items in the styles you have specified to them? I have a fairly awkward body shape (a small apple if that makes sense, think Drew Barrymore but with smaller norks) and as much as I loath shopping, I'm wondering if I'd have more success just trudging around the shelves myself.

You can tell I'm looking forward to it can't you grin

neverquitesure Sat 24-Nov-12 20:20:07

...or can you recommend anywhere else that isn't too £££ and offers a personal shopper? I'll be in Norwich.

Emandlu Sat 24-Nov-12 20:20:56

I am not one of life's shoppers but had to do this one year when we wnet to a wedding and i forgot my outfit.
It was brilliant. You give them an idea of colours and things you do and don't like and then they give you a cuppa and go find the clothes. I would love to shop that way all the time!

thenightsky Sat 24-Nov-12 20:22:55

DD used to do this job and loved it. Her clients came back time and time again. She did it part time whilst doing her fashion degree.

So yes, obviously I'm going to say the Debenhams personal shoppers are lovely grin

dottyaboutstripes Sat 24-Nov-12 20:27:29

How about House of Fraser? I would say its a better store than Debenhams, in Norwich at least

neverquitesure Sat 24-Nov-12 20:41:54

Not sure my £200 budget would extend to House of Fraser, dotty. I think they stock mainly premium brands?

So I need to tell them what styles/shapes I like? Hmmm, some homework is in order then.

LtheWife Sat 24-Nov-12 20:50:16

Don't write House of Fraser off just yet. I too hated shopping, now I go to HoF at the beginning of a season for a wardrobe refresh. This time I spent £400 and came away with two pairs of jeans, two jumpers, two tops, a skirt and a dress. I think each personal shopper works slightly differently though, I've had some who want me to walk through the store with them and pick out items I like, others who leave me to sit with a tea or coffee whilst they come back with a rail full of stuff they think will look good. They don't get it right 100% off the time, but in my experience they are very honest. If they don't think something looks good they will tell you! And there's no pressure either, they want you to walk out happy, even if it means recommending something from a brand they don't stock.

LtheWife Sat 24-Nov-12 20:54:01

Oh and avoid John Lewis in Norwich. Mum had an appointment to get an outfit for my wedding. She did come away with a dress that looked great on her, but it was more through luck than anything else. Everything else she suggested mum try on looked absolutely awful.

neverquitesure Sat 24-Nov-12 21:26:40

Well that's John Lewis off the list then.

I shall have another look at the House of Fraser website. I clicked on jeans when I looked earlier and the first pair it brought up were J Brand, so that didn't do much to ease my budget worries!

InkleWinkle Sat 24-Nov-12 21:40:44

Friend & I used Debenhams (Glasgow) personal shopper this year for outfits for a wedding. I hate shopping & trying on & am v. particular.
It was great, loved my dress, was under budget. My friend doesn't always dress for her shape but was 'guided' towards something which was beautiful on her.

neverquitesure Sat 24-Nov-12 21:58:13

I have booked the Debenhams personal shopper. It is done. Thank you for all the recommendations, and I shall bear House of Fraser in mind for the dreaded Next Time.

Wish me luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now