Talk

Advanced search

stylish shoes for injured foot

(13 Posts)
MissWooWoo Fri 23-Nov-12 09:22:59

I broke my foot a while ago and am still in my cast but I don't think I'm going to be able to wear any or my "normal" shoes for quite some time after it comes off. Does anyone have any experience of this situation and if so what did you wear, I'm guessing that I'll need flat/sturdy soled shoes with a wide fit. I did think maybe Birkenstocks but I think I need the support at the heel too?

I really don't want to wear old granny orthopedic shoes - help!!

jessiegeesusinamanger Fri 23-Nov-12 09:47:05

Oooh that sounds painful. It might be an idea to ask a GP/physio for advice on the basis you don't want to put strain on your foot or risk further injury with unsuitable shoes. I would imagine something with a spongey sole to absorb impact like good quality trainers. I cant think of anything stylish though.

slug Fri 23-Nov-12 09:47:19

<<marking my place>> I have burstitis in the ball of my foot and currently live in trainers at home and thick soled boots at work.

MissWooWoo Fri 23-Nov-12 10:04:25

a potential christmas party shoe slug? grin

slug Fri 23-Nov-12 11:10:28

Oooh!! Sparkles!! grin

MissWooWoo Fri 23-Nov-12 15:20:05

c'mon stylish ladies, don't make me wear the these shock

valiumredhead Fri 23-Nov-12 15:33:35

Me! My advices not to buy anything unless you can try it on or you will waste all your time returning shoes < bitter experience>

I wore Birkenstock mules as they were easy to get on and off and they fit so well that they never slipped off my foot. Personally I couldn't wear anything on my heel for a long time so these were perfect.

I also bought boots from Evans as they do a very generous wide fit and were more forgiving than trying to find the perfect fit of shoe.

Good quality trainers are good if you wear them or anything lace up.

Word of advice - do NOT throw any of your shoes out because you think you will never get back into them, I did and have regretted it. My foot changes shape every year the more physio I do and the more the swelling goes down.

MissWooWoo Fri 23-Nov-12 15:39:05

thanks valium I do quite like those fuzzy felt grey birkenstock mules so maybe I will get my dh to drive me to the Birkenstock store when the cast is off and try them. What was your foot injury if you don't mind me asking?

I won't be throwing any shoes away no fear of that!

valiumredhead Fri 23-Nov-12 15:39:38

Will PM you smile

15thnamechange Fri 23-Nov-12 20:13:52

something with a thick sole, you may even need a slight heel to reduce the achilles stretch, but depends on what your injury was. These are very cushionned and soft, heel might be a bit too high but just to give you an idea.

LtheWife Sat 24-Nov-12 00:35:33

My mum broke her ankle and foot last year and was able to wear normal highstreet footwear in wider fittings pretty much straight after the cast came off. She was also able to choose two pairs of shoes to take to the prosthetics department at her local hospital for them to glue inserts in to provide the extra support she needs. Do ask your physio for advice though, they recommended mum wore something with a bit of a heel, she ignored them and chose some flat sandals for a holiday last month resulting in her partially rupturing her Achilles' tendon.

MrsSnow Sat 24-Nov-12 09:57:30

I did a similar thing and found that for quite some time afterwards (read that as a couple of years!!) my foot shape was still changing so shoes that I had bought a year afterwards are too big now.

I bought Birkenstocks sandals, 3 months after coming off crutches as we were going holiday somewhere very hot and my surgeon advised against slip on style sandals. I lived in these. A year later I could put a finger down the side as more residual swelling and scar tissue had reduced.

For every day I just lived in trainers with in soles and again two years later those trainers were far too big.

MissWooWoo Mon 26-Nov-12 16:57:52

wow 15th I'm never going to be able to get my hoofer in a shoe like that!!!

I think I'll probably just have to wait and see what I can manage when the plaster comes off. I have some hard soled sheepskin boots that are quite wide so maybe these will be ok for the first couple of weeks.

Aren't Birkenstocks slip ons though MrsSnow?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now