Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you clean your waterproof winter coats?

(11 Posts)
Lukethe3 Thu 22-Nov-12 09:49:51

I am a Mumsnet sheep and have ended up with a Didrikson Naomi and a North Face Triclimate. Both lovely but now both very muddy. How do I clean them without ruining them. My last Berhaus waterproof was ruined when I put it in the washing machine. Do I wash then by hand, scrub with water, use soap??

BlissfullyIgnorant Thu 22-Nov-12 09:53:29

You can get washing detergent for waterproofs! You might need a John Lewis, but if you have a Go Outdoors or maybe a Blacks, they might have it and certainly any motorcycle gear shop should have it...it also might be worth a look at Amazon or Google shopping.
I'm told the best one is called Nikwax.

BlissfullyIgnorant Thu 22-Nov-12 09:54:00

Should have said there's one designed for washing machines...

Labradorlover Thu 22-Nov-12 10:23:38

Make sure your washing machine is clean and the dispenser drawer is free of usual washing powder/liquid and conditioner.....maybe run a cycle with just water. Then to clean coat use Nikwax Tech wash and then, to re-waterproof, Nikwax TX Direct. For drying, read your coat label, some requie tumble drying for better effect. Never use ordinary detergent

proteins Thu 22-Nov-12 10:32:47

This is why I love Mumsnet! It never even occurred to me that I shouldn't bung in my North Face parka with the rest of my towels..

Piffpaffpoff Thu 22-Nov-12 10:35:57

Nikwax here for our wide array of hillwalking and cycling stuff. It's amazing the difference it makes once you've done it. You can might get it in Mountain Warehouse or Regatta .

CMOTDibbler Thu 22-Nov-12 10:36:51

I use Nik Wax tech wash. Or if I run out, the horse rug wash stuff which I suspect is exactly the same

Lukethe3 Thu 22-Nov-12 10:48:59

Still nervous, can I really put my NF in the washing machine? What temperature?

dexter73 Thu 22-Nov-12 12:27:52

Found this old thread.

Abzs Thu 22-Nov-12 13:36:12

Yes, you can wash your TNF Triclimate as described above by Labradorlover if you feel you must.

I think Nikwax suggest 40 degrees and Grangers 30 degrees for washing. I put my outdoor stuff on a short cold wash and it does fine with either. Grangers make a 2in1 cleaner/reproofer, which will save a wash cycle.

I would just wash the inner fleece in the normal wash and sponge any marks off the outer with warm water. I wear mine quite regularly and the outer hasn't needed washed yet (bought in February this year). I use it for work (surveying) so don't get mucky dog or DC paws on it. I am, however, a self confessed slattern and I got a black coat for a reason but limewash is white dammit

If you sponge the outer you may still need to give it a spray with the Nikwax TX Direct or the Grangers XT Proofer. It's worth doing that once in a while anyway, as the coating on the outside can get worn off. You'll know to do that if the rain doesn't bead up on the fabric any more.

MadAboutHotChoc Thu 22-Nov-12 15:29:25

I use nikwax as well and chuck it all in the washing machine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now