Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

A easy to wear red lipstick?

(20 Posts)
legojunkie Wed 21-Nov-12 19:27:06

I want a red lipstick to wear for Christmas parties. I have very pale skin so quite worried about wearing a bright lipstick. Anyone one know any good ones?

notMarlene Wed 21-Nov-12 19:28:37

Mac Ruby Woo

FromEsme Wed 21-Nov-12 19:31:32

I find the Mac one a bit drying. It does stay on, but it makes my lips all cakey.

The Kate Moss one for Rimmel is amazing. Don't remember the name of the colour, but I love it.

floramckitchen Wed 21-Nov-12 19:32:17

Boots Natural Collection Moisture Shine lipstick in Berry Sorbet.

Its nice and cheap and suits my pale skin tone!

notMarlene Wed 21-Nov-12 19:38:59

The Kate Moss one is number 01.

I'm quite happy with the Ruby Woo, use lip primer under which helps.

Mabaline 24 hour in Red Passion is good too, very hard wearing. Not a tradition lipstick though.

BunnyLebowski Wed 21-Nov-12 19:42:44

Yes yes to Ruby Woo and to the Kate Moss one (although I find it a wee bit dark against my pale skin).

Collection 2000 Volume Sensation in Ruby Red is my favorite everyday red lippy. Cheap and cheerful but a gorgeous true pin-up colour and moisturising texture.

Hetaera Wed 21-Nov-12 19:54:20

This video by Lisa Eldridge is quite informative.
I am pale and pink and Ruby Woo is lovely. I've been wearing Maybelline's 14hr lipstick in Non Stop Red which she mentions in the video and it does last well.

fedupofnamechanging Wed 21-Nov-12 19:56:39

I am pale and bought the Kate Moss one - I found it to be horrible and dry and far too bright for my pale skin.

Ended up buying the Revlon Clinique knock off crayon thing in berry. Not red, but far more flattering.

If you are set on red, then go to a high end beauty counter and try some out - am not sure you can go cheap on a good red lipstick, unless you have the kind of colouring that suits red generally.

QueenieLovesEels Wed 21-Nov-12 20:29:45

Rimmel Matte one in the dark red. It's very flattering if you have cool toned skin/dark hair and blue eyes. Blot it and it lightens. It's a plummy red.

The lipstick i have had a lot of people ask where it's from is Revlon Colorstay in opulent garnet. I have never come across a colour like it. The staying power is good. It is discontinued but you can pick it up on eBay for pennies. It is a cool toned red with a hint of pink. I buy up spares whenever I can.

If you are neutral or leaning warm Revlon matte lipstick in really red is good. It doesn't feather and isn't waxy. It is a statement red.

Are you cool toned or warm?

Djembe Wed 21-Nov-12 21:21:12

MUA do a red that's perfect for me, I obviously have a cheap skintone hmm it's a lovely quite dark red with flecks of gold, and feels lovely on. And £1. Can't remember the number but they don't do that many colours.

HopelessKat Wed 21-Nov-12 21:38:19

A primary red will suit anyone, irrespective of skin tone. The House of Colour lipsticks are lovely, don't dry out your lips and last for ages. Some days, I don't have to re-apply at all.

doineedhelp Wed 21-Nov-12 22:02:47

Like you I am very pale skinned and would recommend rockette by rockalily, love it smile

ThePortlyPinUp Wed 21-Nov-12 22:44:49

I wear Maybeline 18 hour superstay in passi

ThePortlyPinUp Wed 21-Nov-12 22:45:54

I wear Maybeline 18 hour superstay in passion red, I really recommend it and wear it daily. It's what I'm wearing in the photo on my profile smile

Lottapianos Thu 22-Nov-12 13:00:19

Revlon Lip Butter in Candy Apple. Very moisturising so no dried out lips. Definitely red but not too strong. Not great staying power though.

slug Thu 22-Nov-12 13:27:36

The Lipstick Queen's Medeival shade is fantastic. It's quite sheer but designed to be worn by all skin types.

You can find it in Space NK shops (or at least that's where I bought mine)

StrawberrytallCAKE Thu 22-Nov-12 13:30:27

Chanel do a great range, Elizabeth Arden also do some lovely reds, my lips get dry and they still go on and stay on well, red looks awful with dry lips!

combobulated Thu 22-Nov-12 17:49:58

kate moss for rimmel kiss of life is a fab colour. Very long lasting but a little drying.

coffeeinbed Thu 22-Nov-12 18:32:08

There's a lovely red one in the Revlon chubby sticks.
Pigmented and sheer.

DonaAna Thu 22-Nov-12 21:14:19

I love Chanel reds. The newish Rouge Allure Velvet matte range is to die for, and Coco Rouges are also wonderful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: