Talk

Advanced search

Warm Down filled coat for cold weather, sorry another one!

(24 Posts)
ruby22 Wed 21-Nov-12 07:28:09

I need recommendations for a coat. I have a smart wool coat, lots of smart jackets, a gilet and a rain coat. What I need is a warm, maybe down filled, coat for colder days, doesn,t have to be waterproof just warm and not enormous. Considering the unique long down coat or maybe a gap one if not too shiny. Or even the north face long one from local TNF outlet. Any other suggestions or recommendations? I do not like the merrell one so popular on here and please do not mention that boden mumsy one! I have tried the lands end ones but they are just too big and shapeless. Be warned I am fussy which is why I have not got one!

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 21-Nov-12 07:29:27

I've got the barbour arctic down parka - very cosy indeed.

Suburban Wed 21-Nov-12 07:40:37

Another vote for the Barbour, although it's quite Exxy I love mine. this is surprisingly nice too. Also worth looking in TK Maxx if you have one.

MummyCoolski Wed 21-Nov-12 07:44:06

I just bought one from Esprit: http://www.esprit.co.uk/Women/all_brands/CLOTHES/jackets_coats/down_feather

HellothisisJoanie Wed 21-Nov-12 07:44:40

lands end

mejon Wed 21-Nov-12 14:35:51

I have this one. It's like wearing a cloud. Slightly fitted around the middle so I'm not completely michelin-man-like!

TellMeLater Wed 21-Nov-12 14:48:46

Just received the uniqlo/theory t down knee length coat, it's very flattering, the navy is gorgeous but it's sold out, black is still available and it's only £99!

stclemens Wed 21-Nov-12 14:56:09

I went and bought the Theory one - some navy ones still available on Oxford St yesterday.

DaPrincessBride Wed 21-Nov-12 15:02:25

Saw some lovely, light and very very cosy ones in Uniqlo the other day.

Horsemad Wed 21-Nov-12 15:09:31

I got a Trespass one last year - a jacket not full length coat. It's lovely and warm, not at all bulky and I love it!

ruby22 Wed 21-Nov-12 19:43:27

Was just looking at the uniqlo long theory one, looks lovely but should have mentioned in original post not in black. Navy would be perfect, do they ever restock?

DaPrincessBride Wed 21-Nov-12 20:17:51

I think they do from my experience - are you just looking online or trying instore? They had some lighter colours last time I was in a store so it may be worth a look?

BeatTheClock Wed 21-Nov-12 20:21:05

TK Maxx?

Speedos Wed 21-Nov-12 20:37:08

I've got the NF arctic in dark grey, best purchase this winter!

Tweet2tweet Wed 21-Nov-12 20:37:27

Was thinking about getting the black Uniqlo/Theory one- for those that have seen it, is it not nice? Everyone is referring to the navy one. Also, I'm a size 12 would the M be a good fit??

MrsWooster Wed 21-Nov-12 20:39:42

Lands End, diamond parka, I thnk it is - I am <ahem> stout and it STILL doesn't make me look like Michelin Woman

ruby22 Wed 21-Nov-12 21:23:33

speedos I think I really need an arctic parka enabler- persaude me it will be worth it! Best place to buy?
Tweet2tweet nothing at all wrong with black, it just makes me look deathly as am v pale.
Have just spent ages reading through massive coat threads- need to decide soon!

TellMeLater Wed 21-Nov-12 22:06:34

The medium uniqlo is very neat in size - I'm normally a 10 and the small was tight around the arms and across the back, for comfort and layering I went for medium. I have the North face Arctic Parka too, it's very bulky...very warm and waterproof. The uniqlo one has more down fill, is more flattering but less water proof and less than half the price of the North face coat.

therugratref Wed 21-Nov-12 22:09:07

Another vote for the North face Arctic, bought one last year its great.

Speedos Wed 21-Nov-12 22:11:00

Buy it you won't regret it, it hardly looks like a down filled waterproof coat. I bought it from here about a month ago and it was by far the cheapest around. Five options for colours for the new season one. It fits me like a glove too.

TellMeLater Wed 21-Nov-12 23:02:43

Had another look at my navy uniqlo - must say the fabric quality is amazing - I had ordered from their standard range of down coats a couple of weeks ago and the fabric was thin - almost looked like lining....I sent them back. Not this one, the hood detaches, looks so much more stylish than the North face, which always made me feel a bit like a yeti - still love it though, for it's practicality.

ruby22 Thu 22-Nov-12 07:35:16

Have never seen a uniqlo store, off to have a look at where they are. May buy arctic parka from outlet village- last years colours but am not fussy- for 175 and then stalk the uniqlo one to see if comes back into stock.
It is def for practicality and standing on rugby pitches in cold weather etc as have other coats too. Am sooo indecisive, which is why it's almost December and still haven,t got one!

TellMeLater Thu 22-Nov-12 07:35:42

The Black uniqlo has a white inset. The coat is hand wash only and do not tumble dry - I'm struggling to see how you would get this coat dry ina reasonable period of time. I will only wear mine in the dry cold weather, so I don't expect it will need cleaning very often....but the white insert would have me screwed - I'm a messy pup! They have other colours in store though. Grey and black and blue I think.

Gnomi Thu 22-Nov-12 10:17:01

Definitely have a look in TK Maxx - they had loads in there last week, including North Face ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now