Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Oil Cleansing Method

(11 Posts)
squoosh Tue 20-Nov-12 23:07:42

Can any of you ladies (or gents) who use the OCM tell me what skin type you have and what oils you use?

I'm interested to try but there seems to be some scary stories of cystic acne outbreaks. I've no idea what combo to use, 1 part castor oil to 9 parts extra virgin olive oil? What about coconut oil or jojoba oil? So many oils!

Thanks in advance.

Helltotheno Tue 20-Nov-12 23:19:40

I'm using sweet almond oil and castor (only a drop or two of castor, less than a lidful of oil overall, in fact much less). My skin has been good after it, no outbreaks. I don't like the whole cloth situation though, which I've posted about before. I find it hard to get them clean and they stink a bit.

The good thing is that the oil lasts ages. I got a 500ml bottle of sweet almond and it's last ages and am only half way through.

Half thinking about changing to a sponge, not a cloth. What say ye?

PinkPeanuts Tue 20-Nov-12 23:26:56

Almond and Castor here. But it seems to work for me to use more castor than almond. My experience with OCM is that you have to tweak amounts and oil types until you find what works for you and your kin. Good luck!

TiredofZombies Tue 20-Nov-12 23:29:31

I've started with just sweet almond oil to see what that did. I don't really know what my skin type is, mostly fine but with some dry patches. The oil helps a little bit but the dry patches are still there, but not as bad. Not sure what to do next really, as I think castor oil is drying, isn't it?

Helltotheno Tue 20-Nov-12 23:40:07

Possibly, but I'd use so little castor oil compared to the almond that there's no dryness. Doesn't castor oil have cleansing qualities or something?

squoosh Wed 21-Nov-12 00:14:42

Almond oil sounds good, full of Vitamin E I think. From what I've read castor oil can have a powerful effect for good and bad on your skin so caution seems to be advised. I think it has a similar purging effect on the skin as it does on the digestive system!

Do you mix it all up and put in a pump bottle or do you need measure it our each night? The pump bottle sounds a lot less faff.

ComradeJing Wed 21-Nov-12 05:13:47

I did jojoba and castor. About 9/1 I think but bumped it up depending on how I felt. Jojoba is supposed to be good for combination skin which mine is.

I made it up in a pump bottle and used it nightly and maybe morning too (can't remember).

My reaction was about 6 weeks of shit skin (spots and dry cheeks) followed by the best skin of my life. Not one black head, spot, dry spot or other nasty. I still followed with a very light moisturiser.

However, if any other face wash TOUCHED my skin I had massive break outs as the balance went out of wack. This was why I switched to Liz Earle. Skin isn't as good but no spots and no major dramas if I used another product.

ComradeJing Wed 21-Nov-12 05:15:09

Oh and use a new cloth every morning.

Helltotheno Wed 21-Nov-12 08:52:48

ComradeJing how many cloths did you have? How did you clean them? I see you switched now...

I don't keep my oils together, just mix em in the lid of the almond oil bottle. Yes a bit of a faff, I just haven't got a pump thingy right now but a pump would be better.

ComradeJing Wed 21-Nov-12 11:18:20

I have some muslins and some cheap ikea flannels. Probably around 20 in all but I could get away with say 7 or so depending on how often you do a towel wash. I do a weekly towel wash so couldn't do it with less than this. I tend to use flannels every day but muslins when I travel as they take up less room. I prefer white cloths as you can see if any make up is left.

I wash with my towels on a HOT wash and they always come out fine.

I still use them - just not with ocm.

Sillybillypoopoomummy Wed 21-Nov-12 11:40:53

almond oil here, with a rose water toner and rosehip oil and sometimes a drop of tea tree to moisturise. Skin is fab and I am a classic oily t-zone with occasional nasty eczema flareups as I am soooooo sensitive to everything and therefore can't treat the t-zone. Oil cleansing has completely turned my face around. I do it every night (new cloth every other day ish) and splash my face with water in the shower in the morning and then just do the rose water/rosehip oil. I have also just tried that akamuti orange cleanser (which is mostly almond oil anyway) and that is also lovely. I have never gone anywhere near castor oil (too scared) and jojoba was too drying.
hth

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: