Talk

Advanced search

Please help me make my new Doc Martens "work" with my current wardrobe!

(2 Posts)
ElectricMonk Tue 20-Nov-12 22:31:36

I've loved DMs since I was a teen and have a few of the newer, more conservative styles - my main shoes are this style, but they're tall 14 holers rather than ankle boots: almost-my-boots. For Christmas, my husband is very kindly getting me these, and although I'm very excited I'm not sure how to make them fit with my current style.

I mostly wear skinny jeans or an a-line leather skirt with a strappy top, layered with a chunky jumper or a cowl neck long sleeved t-shirt and a blazer. I used to be a goth and I think that still shows in my clothes - I wear a lot of black, grey, deep purple, deep red etc. As of Christmas, this will be my main coat. In my head it seems like the boots should work perfectly with my current clothes, but in reality I think it looks a bit incongruous. I think it's because I can't help looking deliberately feminine and conservative, whatever I wear - I'm very petite but have a very pronounced hourglass figure, "serious" face, long hair and am in my early 20s (but apparently look at least 25 sad ).

If anybody could please, please, please give me some tips on how to make the DMs fit better with my image I'd be really grateful. I think that berry toned lipstick seems to help, as do my black pearls - are there other little accessories I could add so that it doesn't look like I'm trying to be a goth from the ankles down? Everything I think of would have been okay when I was 16, but seems a bit odd now that I apparently look like I'm in my mid-twenties!

N.B. I don't have pierced ears, but am wondering whether a chunky jet ring/leather wrap around bracelet type thing might be a step in the right direction?

ElectricMonk Tue 20-Nov-12 22:33:17

BTW, I should probably clarify - I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with being over 25, I'm just sad that I've never been able to dress my age because I've always looked a good few years older. Mostly due to aforementioned "serious" face, I think...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now