Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

At what age can you start waxing ?

(17 Posts)
Rexy Tue 20-Nov-12 21:32:30

My dd has hair on her nose and a moustache, she is 1/2 Indian so the hair is black.

I already pluck her eyebrows (only the bit in the middle).

We don't want her teased at school.

please help as dh is saying we must start waxing

MissBoPeep Tue 20-Nov-12 22:02:05

How old is she?

if you do it at home you can do it when you want to.

if you want to take her to a salon some have rules about over 12s or around that age.

somuchslimmernow Tue 20-Nov-12 22:03:54

Depends how old she is...my daughter is 13 and been having her eyebrows waxed since she was 12.

Rexy Tue 20-Nov-12 22:10:16

Whoops meant to day she's 9 !

Rexy Tue 20-Nov-12 22:49:58

Bump

Anyone used Nads hair removal ?

ConfusedPixie Tue 20-Nov-12 22:57:25

I wouldn't bother with hair removal creams. I have very thick hair all over (1/2 Iranian) and hair removal creams just don't work amazingly for it. Being honest, waxing has been the only hair removal method to do any good but at her age I wouldn't be sure about it!

Welovecouscous Tue 20-Nov-12 22:58:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NewNames Tue 20-Nov-12 23:04:37

Laser hair removal for the bits on her face? Might be worth it in the long run smile

Rexy Wed 21-Nov-12 21:09:16

Most salons have an age restriction on lasering btw.

Curtsey Wed 21-Nov-12 21:36:18

Tough one. Do speak to a good salon, they probably get parents with this dilemma all the time.

Curtsey Wed 21-Nov-12 21:37:21

Do NOT use creams! waxing (or permanent hair removal) is def the way to go - it's just a matter of when to start sad

Meglet Wed 21-Nov-12 21:38:38

I had my legs done from 15.

I think I had electrolysis when I was about 16 - 18, it never really worked though as my hair is too thick / strong.

Chunkamatic Sun 25-Nov-12 08:36:54

What about threading?

cashmere Sun 25-Nov-12 16:08:07

I had my legs done from 11 as Mum had hers done. The lady mentioned waxing the arms of a girl who was 8 or 9.
A friend also had her lip waxed from about year 7.

Maybe get a mobile beautician so its more private for her.
I'd also do on a Fri eve or Saturday so any redness goes down before school.
It's unfortunate for her but I wouldn't leave it- it's likely that fairly soon someone will mention it.

JessieMcJessie Sun 25-Nov-12 17:24:35

Yes, what about threading? That's getting more and more popular now. All the threading ladies seem to be Indian so that suggests they are used to the same issues your daughter has. Re her age, I think your DH is being a very kind Dad to notice - she will get teased and so better to do something now, even if she herself isn't bothered. We had an olive- skinned girl in our class whose leg hair grew much younger than the rest of ours did and the boys were really horrible about her.

Fairylea Sun 25-Nov-12 18:31:01

Ask her if it bothers her ?

If it doesn't and she isn't being teased I'd leave it. Threading is painful. She's only 9 .

cashmere Sun 25-Nov-12 20:13:37

The pain is the part that makes me have doubts- you could take paracetamol to help.
However, if you leave it until she is teased- they will then know she has darker body hair and in all likelihood tease her for being waxed. So I do think it would be kinder to pre-empt it.
Maybe have a chat about her ethnicity and the fact that lots of women with darker hair choose to remove it. I agree that threading would also be worth looking into. Are there any female relatives on your DH side you could talk to? You could maybe think about the grooming that diff people do eg mousy hair dye it blonde, dark circles- make up etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now