Talk

Advanced search

50s-style outfit for wedding, breastfeeding

(8 Posts)
ThreeWheelsGood Mon 19-Nov-12 18:43:58

Help! I have a 4 week old baby and when she's 9 weeks we'll be going to a wedding with a 1950s dress code. I haven't really been out of the house properly yet let alone considered nursing clothes, does anyone have any specific or general ideas for me? I was a size 12 pre-pregnancy, might still fit that. I need to be able to breastfeed during the day.

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Mon 19-Nov-12 22:40:40

Could you go all New Look and wear a big skirt with a peplum jacket over a wrap top/vest top? Would look smart and you could easily access boobage.

ecuse Mon 19-Nov-12 22:44:47

I wore a halterneck polka dot 50s style dress for DD's 'Welcome to the World' party when she was 4mo and I was BF. Not explicitly a BF dress but worked well as I could untie behind my neck and just drop one boob out. Bodice needs to be close fitting enough that the other side stays up. And I wore one of those short cardie/shrugs that tie under bust to preserve modesty.

ecuse Mon 19-Nov-12 22:49:55

(something like this)

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Mon 19-Nov-12 22:58:23

Just remembered that I wore a shirt dress to a wedding when I was Bfing. I managed fine with a vest top underneath and a pashmina type scarf for a bit of extra privacy when feeding in front of easily shocked wedding guests.

This Boden number is very fifties.

Or you could go for an embellished cardi with a pencil skirt.

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Mon 19-Nov-12 23:06:07

I am not keen on the outfit as a whole but this Coast peplum jacket would be lovely for a winter wedding.

ThreeWheelsGood Mon 19-Nov-12 23:34:12

Thank you for these ideas!

verylittlecarrot Mon 19-Nov-12 23:41:36

echo the shirt dress with vest under as ideal. Dress opens, vest goes up (not down) and pashmina if you're shy. I have a full skirted shirt dress with poppers up to fasten - not specifically bf but has done the trick once or twice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now