Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dress me please :(

(9 Posts)
TwllBach Sun 18-Nov-12 22:07:58

Picture on my profile.

I split up with my DP recently, and have lost a stone and a half in a relatively short space of time. All I seem to wear is a collection of badly fitting ugly dresses with long bulky cardigans.

I'm 25 and have recently, twice, been called pretty (yay!) and I dress like crap but have no idea where to start sad

rain2012 Sun 18-Nov-12 22:41:48

Whos style do you admire, what is your lifestyle, clothes size and height?

TwllBach Sun 18-Nov-12 22:49:11

I'm a primary school teacher so do tend to wear dresses and flat shoes. I would like to wear jeans and nice tops sometimes when I'm not at work.

I don't really know who I admire - I'm a complete cultural wasteland blush

I'm 5'7/8 ish and will shortly be a dress size 12. My top half will be a 12/14 and trouser wise ill be a 14, although I'm more hour glass than pear because I have 32F knockers blushblush

TwllBach Sun 18-Nov-12 22:49:47

In fact, how do I look for people's styles? Is there something I can google?

smellylittleorange Sun 18-Nov-12 23:19:44

I think a lot of people on here go on blogs ?? Have you considered some nice Blazers , blouses, peg leg trousers etc from places like Warehouse and Oasis ?

rain2012 Mon 19-Nov-12 11:17:29

A good jersey dress - I know you said you feel that you live in them but with your figure they look fab. How about a plain black dress , try "The White Company"
Bright coloured tights to funk up an outfit
Black healed ankle boots. There are so many about, try a pair with an exposed gold zip - New Look are good for these.
A high waisted skinny jean - Top shop Kirsten jeans are good
Long line T shirts, again New Look have loads - tuck into jeans or wear over leggings.
A shear shirt with a statement collar, you can tuck into jeans, layer with leggings and a long T shirt or tuck into a pencil skirt - look at Topshop for a jersey pencil.
Do not underestimate the power of a great piece of jewellery. Feather earrings are very fashionable at the moment, a collar style necklace or cocktail ring.

For inspiration, I would say your best way is to go out to the shops!! Go into good high st shops like Topshop, H&M, Zara, primark, New Look etc and look at the mannequins - they have been professionally styled, and it is easy to find the clothes! I find it a better way of getting inspiration as you can see the clothes "in real life" rather than in a photograph.
Whilst out look at what people are wearing and you will start to find what styles you like.

TwllBach Mon 19-Nov-12 17:34:33

Thank you grin

I love dresses, but my current problem is that the ones I wear are frumpy, then paired with a long shapeless cardigan and it just looks meh.

I get paid on Thursday so I think I will set aside a certain amount and try to buy a few bits and pieces <excited>

smellylittleorange Mon 19-Nov-12 23:22:30

You need nice fitted cropped cardigans to show off and define your waist. Also have a look on ebay for silk mix lk bennett dresses they could never be frumpy!

TwllBach Tue 20-Nov-12 18:17:41

Yes! I need cardigans, but nice ones. And other things to wear 'on top' IYSWIM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now