Talk

Advanced search

Paris trip next week - where to shop?

(7 Posts)
mrsshackleton Fri 16-Nov-12 11:41:07

Off to Paris for work. I have a meeting in the St Germain area which should be over by about 3pm. Which gives me ... 2 hours or so to shop. When do shops shut? Where should I go? I don't want to schlep all round Paris, would rather concentrate on that area. Stylish clothes for moi, possibly some christmas presents for dc. Any suggestions v welcome.

Khaterine Fri 16-Nov-12 12:02:32

Paris can be called a shopping paradise and is one of the major fashion centers of the world next to London, New York or Milan. Haute Couture shops of the rue Faubourg Saint-Honoré and Avenue Montaigne in the 8th arrondissement can make shopping enthusiasts feel at home in Paris. Shoes, bags and other leather products of the highest quality can be found on the district Grenelle Street 6. Clothing and shoes that really set the fashion standard worldwide, are located on Etienne Marcel and Place des Victoires districts on the border between one and two. The most famous shops and fashion houses Haute Couture and jewelry include: Cartier, Celine, Chanel, Christian Dior, Christian Lacroix all in district 8 and Piaget and Yves Saint Laurent in the 16th district.

Khaterine Fri 16-Nov-12 12:02:50

P.S. Have fun !!!

mrsshackleton Fri 16-Nov-12 15:45:24

Thanks Khaterine. Er, anyone else. I was asking about St Germain smile

polyhymnia Fri 16-Nov-12 16:28:36

Yes, I think you'll really only have time to 'do' S Germain - I wouldn't trek up to the 1st or 8th arrondissements. But there are masses of lovely shops there - I particularly like pottering along Rue de Grenelle and Rue de Bac -and an excellent department store the Bon Marché.

Shops there stay open at least till 6.00, some to 7.00. Many are 'chains' that are in UK now of course - eg Comptoir des Cotonniers, Zadig and Voltaire.

There is a massive Sonia Rykiel, on the corner of Bd St Germain and Rue des Saints Peres which I like.
The Time Out guide - which is also online - at least partially - is quite good for suggesting independent boutiques in the St Germain (and other) areas.

mrsshackleton Wed 21-Nov-12 10:20:23

bump

JuliaFlyte Wed 21-Nov-12 10:35:05

With only 2 hours I wold just go to Bon Marche. The Christmas decoration dept in the basement is just amazing, also gorgeous toys and children's clothes right beside the decorations. Fabulous bags and accessories on the ground floor, clothes and shoes on the first, homewares on the second and if you are into that kind of thing an unmissable haberdashery on the 3rd floor. Next door is their food hall and above that they have all the contemporary fashion labels.

It is my absolute favorite shop, not so big as to be overwhelming but with everything that you could possibly want. It has a concession from every french brand you can think of, so will save you from traipsing the streets if time is limited.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now