Talk

Advanced search

At what age are you too old for bright eyeshadow?

(9 Posts)
AuntieMaggie Thu 15-Nov-12 08:16:42

I love bright eyeshadows but at what age do you become too old to wear them?

I'm 35 and wear eyeshadow every day in work, not always bright, but have noticed not many women wear it.

AuntieShirley Thu 15-Nov-12 08:21:43

No idea, but I am watching this. I am 33, and I love bright greens and blues, but have been wondering lately if I am too old (I also love glitter and am probably too old for that too, but I don't wear glitter to work grin )

Ahardyfool Thu 15-Nov-12 08:25:26

Definitely by 40. However, it depends if you look like a wizened old bird.

Of course, what I should say is "for as long as you like" but in reality, you don't want to look like my 'MIL' who wears peacock colours at 70 something. She looks atrocious from an aesthetic pov but admittedly she looks like she is an utterly crazy in a good way sort of woman.

MrsHoarder Thu 15-Nov-12 08:43:06

13 IMO. But then I'm a boring type.

ProcrastinatingPanda Thu 15-Nov-12 09:01:34

AuntieMaggie Thu 15-Nov-12 10:14:03

Shirley i love glitter too though admittedly not to work wink

I love purples as well as blues and greens. Though I normally wear more neutral colours to work.

I think I look pretty young for my age... though not 21 sad

ProcrastinatingPanda Thu 15-Nov-12 10:17:27

Well I'm 24 and I think I'm too old for bright eye shadow.

lurkingfromhome Thu 15-Nov-12 10:26:05

I'm 45 and have a make-up box full of gorgeous bright colours but have sadly come to the conclusion that I should not be wearing them. Nonetheless I try to sneak in just a tiny smudge of something bright as a contrast to all the sensible taupes and greys ...

HeftyHeifer Thu 15-Nov-12 10:57:11

I'm fortunate in that I don't know any 40 year olds who look like 'wizened old birds'. I think that tends to happen at least a decade later (I'm 50 FWIW).
That said, I never cared for bright eyeshadows even as a teenager in the era of Glam Rock.
IMO, the purpose of eye make up is to make your eyes look more beautiful and colouring your eyes like a peacock just detracts from your eyes and makes people notice the eye shadow instead.
But look, wear what makes you feel happy. If in your mind you think you're now too old for them, it probably is time to switch to the 'boring colours'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now