Talk

Advanced search

Is supermarket cashmere awful or good value?

(9 Posts)
CambridgeBlue Wed 14-Nov-12 11:37:45

Seen some lovely cashmere jumpers in Tesco for only £40 and am wondering if they are as good value as they seem or if they will bobble/shrink/go out of shape very quickly. Anyone got any experience of them?

Hopefully Wed 14-Nov-12 11:50:26

They aren't amazing, but if you look after them they are alright-ish. Not as good as uniqlo knitwear for a similar price, IMO.

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Wed 14-Nov-12 12:22:24

Very thin in my experience and they only look decent for a few washes. John Lewis do good cashmere jumpers - better designs/colours and £69. I think the extra cost is worth it as they last for a few years. I prefer JL to M&S.

dreamingofsun Wed 14-Nov-12 12:29:18

i've had one from sainsburys for several years. its as good as some of my boden ones;and all the john lewis and M&S. Its pilled a bit but then so have the others except 2 of the boden ones. mine's not thin and hasn't shrunk

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Tue 20-Nov-12 12:42:57

I should have said that the ones I bought ( and were unimpressed by) were from Tesco.

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Tue 20-Nov-12 12:43:30

Oops! Was unimpressed!

WeatherWitch Tue 20-Nov-12 12:47:58

I've had some Tesco ones and they were fine for a while but then started to look a bit tired. However, I then got fed up of careful handwashing, bunged them in the washing machine on a cold wool wash and they came out looking like new. They don't have the same loveliness as my N Peal or Pringle ones but for the money they're a lot nicer than scratchy wool or synthetic.

DonaAna Tue 20-Nov-12 12:49:50

Cashmere is one of those fibers that has lost its luster by going mass-market (remember angora, mohair, pashmina)? Unless its great quality, it quickly bobbles and is a pain to maintain.

I much prefer good merino wool or wool-silk mixes. And alpaca.

Then again, I'm celebrating 80s revival by wearing a mohair sweater [roll]

typicalvirgo Tue 20-Nov-12 12:51:46

Bought a polo neck from tescos once and it shrunk and went out of shape very quickly.

Made a lovely hot water bottle cover from it !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now