Talk

Advanced search

help me wean off knee high boots

(21 Posts)
Imlostwithoutahope Tue 13-Nov-12 18:31:22

I'm finally thinking that knee high boots are not the done thing anymore. But I can't get my head around wearing ankle boots and skinny jeans.
I love my skinnies so how can I make the jump to ankle boots? And when attempting to buy some how do I know if they're the right type(to me they all look odd and as if I'm a child wearing my mums boots)

Catsdontcare Tue 13-Nov-12 18:33:05

I'm struggling with the leap to ankle boots too. I have yet to see anyone wearing them and thinking "wow they look great" I try them on and think "ooh santa's little helper"

sittinginthesun Tue 13-Nov-12 18:35:48

I have a gorgeous pair of lace up ankle boots, with a furry inside, which look fantastic with skinny jeans. Bought them last year, and wear them every day. I haven't worn my knee high boots with trousers at all this year (except my wellies smile).

ValentineWiggins Tue 13-Nov-12 18:36:44

Trouble is I can't really do skinnys...so it's boot cut with ankle boots under or knee highs and leggings!

MrawMraw Tue 13-Nov-12 20:46:06

I don't feel right wearing ankle boots, although they look great on other people. I'm 5ft 1 and slim so I also feel "santa's little helper / pixie" or as DS (3) put it "oh you look like a lovely pirate" grin.

I HAVE weaned myself off of stiletto heel knee high boots though since having children and having to push buggies in the rain. Actually . . . . how do you wear ankle boots in the rain?

I have wedge wellies, doc martin triumphs, and www.schuh.co.uk/red-or-dead/womens-black-red-or-dead-marsh/1564227020.

I like these - www.newlook.com/shop/shoe-gallery/view-all-boots/xti-brown-lace-up-wedge-knee-high-boots_263361220.

There is a woman who I see on the school run who always wears ankle boots and looks tremendous - maybe I need to finally try them!

Imlostwithoutahope Wed 14-Nov-12 21:48:50

I'm off the stiletto heel boots too. I've bought some wedge knee high boots from Clarks this autumn and have been wearing them too. I've started to fe lodd in my bootcuts now and unfashionable so I need to invest in somenew boots. Maybe mid calve ones would be a compromise.

FauxFox Wed 14-Nov-12 22:26:44

Ankle boots gop. I refuse to believe the hype.

I have got over the knee boots in grey suede, knee high biker boots and 4 other pairs of variously heeled knee boots and they all make my legs look slimmer and balance out my big bum.

Ankle boots make all but the most gazelle like legs look like sausages. IMHO of course grin

HellothisisJoanie Thu 15-Nov-12 07:26:33

thank GOD you are off stilleto botos at the least - Liz mc donald central

noddyholder Thu 15-Nov-12 07:55:00

I still love my knee boots I have several ankle too but thy feel more everyday and everywhere! Knee boots a totally different look. Ankle boots are mumsy if you don,t update your clothes to suit. Have seen lots of illmfitting jeans and pistol style boots

germyrabbit Thu 15-Nov-12 08:00:05

i am the other way round, live in ankle boots (chelsea boots) and have got some great calf lengths boots from monsoon but feel like a soldier in them grin

QueenieLovesEels Thu 15-Nov-12 10:36:36

I just see Katie Holmes in hers and think no thanks...... It so doesn't work.

reindeerjumper Thu 15-Nov-12 10:43:37

Knee boots are a classic.

Djembe Thu 15-Nov-12 11:03:25

I totally agree with FauxFox - ankle boots are about as easy to wear as playsuits but everyone is fooled into thinking they're easy to wear. I mean they are, obvs, but they look rubbish. Stick with knee-highs.

Bumblequeen Thu 15-Nov-12 11:56:02

I still wear flat high boots and heeled high boots (round toe).

BegoniaBigtoes Thu 15-Nov-12 12:13:04

I love my knee boots but I've also been thinking about ankl;e boots recently and have ordered these

I have big feet and need a chunky boot and low-ish heel, and I think these look nice but will have to wait and see. I'm thinking they would work with jeans or a skirt/dress.

TapselteerieO Thu 15-Nov-12 15:24:30

I bought a pair of ankle boots like these www.office.co.uk/womens/office/dusk_till_dawn/10/12282/34469/1?fs=12282 but in a dark burgundy suede in the office sale (£38). I like the fact they give me a bit of height, but I do feel a bit self conscious in them - it is like when I first started wearing skinny jeans, with knee boots.

Maybe you should look out for a pair in the January sales? I still wear my knee boots, I live in the North of Scotland and the need to stay warm dictates what I wear a lot of the time! Knee boots still have a place in your wardrobe, ankle boots just give you another option. I think they are good for autumn/spring when you might not want to wear knee boots but flat ballet style shoes are not warm enough.

Impdriver Fri 16-Nov-12 15:48:34

I stick to Knee highs, walking the kids to school I need something to keep my legs warm ! Mind you if its wet I drive them to school, in my boots of course.

HellothisisJoanie Fri 16-Nov-12 15:50:15

kids i teach in AWE of my ( 2 year old) boots today.
WOW they are so cool.

ankle all the way man

HellothisisJoanie Fri 16-Nov-12 15:50:59

those ankle boots would NOT work with a dress unless oyu have HUGE llegs

Meggles76 Fri 16-Nov-12 16:17:28

I also have the Clarks wedge knee high boots in tan. Wearing with my wine coloured skinnys tucked in. Also with a short cord skirt and opaques.
I also have a couple of pairs of ankles boots. Clarks suede pair with a mid heel for running round day to day. Again wearing black skinnys and M&S dark denim jeggings tucked in. I then have a very high heel black suede pair from M&S. Wore them out with opaques and shorts.
I am short and pretty slight of leg and toned from sport. I think a heel on an ankle boot makes it more forgiving.

noddyholder Fri 16-Nov-12 17:57:04

You need both

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now