Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Budding perfumistas walk this way- Part 2 of the Worst Perfumes ever

(989 Posts)
shoeprincess2 Tue 13-Nov-12 13:23:54

As the first thread is nearly full, I've set up Part 2

pocketandsweet Tue 13-Nov-12 18:32:55

There seem to be lots of niche leather type smells but what about green fresh ones. I would love to find something unusual.

FellatioNelson Tue 13-Nov-12 18:34:12

I love Cristalle. I love almost all Chanel fragrances in fact. I'm currently on the lookout for something new and different but I takes me aaaaaaaages to find anything I really think is worth spending the money on. I'm very fussy and I dislike so many.

YouOldSlag Tue 13-Nov-12 18:34:54

harbinger- it last for ages on me. it's one of my favourite inexpensive scents- gorgeous sharp oranges and amber and spice. Perfect for winter. Does not smell remotely cheap.

YouOldSlag Tue 13-Nov-12 18:36:27

*I'm very fussy and I dislike so many*- that's half the fun isn't it? picking from millions until you get that thunderbolt. I love the whole Quest.

YouOldSlag Tue 13-Nov-12 18:38:13

pocket and sweet- Gres Cabotine is green and fresh and not very "High Street". It's quite alarmingly pungent and green when first applied but when it settles its dreamy.

harbingerofdoom Tue 13-Nov-12 18:38:37

I was given a bottle last month as I really liked it in the shop but didn't realise that my skin gobbles it up grin. I'll have to spray it on clothes/hair instead.

FellatioNelson Tue 13-Nov-12 18:38:53

Yes true! Although I always come out of duty free smelling like a right old dog's dinner and I make myself so sick of it I can't face buying anything at all. grin

I am quite fancying a splurge on Amouage Gold. Anyone know that?

harbingerofdoom Tue 13-Nov-12 18:41:44

Come to think of it several perfumes just disappear on me. Does anyone know why? Or how to wear them apart from clothes/hair.

YouOldSlag Tue 13-Nov-12 18:42:19

There is a poster who has Amouage Gold that she might be able to sell you. I can't remember her name but she had loads and was asking what to do with them. You could do a MN search on Amouage?

harbinger- which scent did your skin gobble up?

TerrorNotSoFrightened Tue 13-Nov-12 18:42:36

I loved manifesto by Isabella Rossellini, it's been discontinued though sad
Do any of you remember smelling it? What kind of thing would be similar?

YouOldSlag Tue 13-Nov-12 18:43:08

There is a theory that if you can't smell a scent on you then it means others can and it really suits you, but I don't know if that's bolleaux or not.

pocketandsweet Tue 13-Nov-12 18:43:51

I've not heard of the Jesus del Pozo Ambar. Sounds interesting? Also trying to find a perfume that smells of real orange blossom
/ bergamot flowers ( although will have to wear when my husband's away because he is smell sensitive in the extreme and would probably complain loudly)

YouOldSlag Tue 13-Nov-12 18:44:43

pocket- jesus del pozo ambar is a mere 7.95 for 30ml on ebay and on Cheap Smells (awful name, great site)

harbingerofdoom Tue 13-Nov-12 18:45:09

The two that spring to mind are Jesus del Pozo Ambar and L'instant Guerlain-both gone within 10-30 minutes.

YouOldSlag Tue 13-Nov-12 18:46:59

harbinger- JDP lasts a while on me. Maybe it's just one of those things? Cabotine doesn't last long on me so I do hair and clothes with that.

pocketandsweet Tue 13-Nov-12 18:47:05

The Cristalle Eau vert sort of disappears on me but I just love it. I will check out the Cabotine- thanks

harbingerofdoom Tue 13-Nov-12 18:47:23

Not sure about that theory hmm. That's the perception of others and not the wearer IYSWIM.

pocketandsweet Tue 13-Nov-12 18:50:23

I remember Manifesto . I had a big sample and almost bought a bottle. It had a lot of basil in it as I remember. In the end I didn't buy because although I liked it I realised that what I really wanted was to BE Isabella Rossellini and that was unlikely to happen smile

YouOldSlag Tue 13-Nov-12 18:51:21

I'm expressing it clumsily harbinger. What I heard was that if a scent really suits you, it kind of blends in with you so that you can't smell it anymore. However, others still can. I don't know if I believe it, but I've heard the theory several times.

it was probably invented by perfume manufacturers though!

Loobylou222 Tue 13-Nov-12 18:52:53

Lou Lou and Eden are by far the worst IMO. I work in the perfume industry (well I work in the perfume shop! On mat leave at the moment though) we have a 'bible' which we looked in when we were looking for perfumes with certain notes Etc.
in there is a perfume called poopoopidoo.
I kid you not.......

harbingerofdoom Tue 13-Nov-12 18:55:24

I see what you mean YOS. It's an interesting idea but I'm not sure if it can ever be proven as everybody has a different sense of smell.
I always thought that my skin was too acid/alkali and killed it off.

BOFingSanta Tue 13-Nov-12 18:59:04

It's an interesting theory. I might start a thread in Chat and garner some wider opinions.

harbingerofdoom Tue 13-Nov-12 18:59:39

Good idea BOF

ThatsNice Tue 13-Nov-12 19:02:46

You lot are ruining my bank balance, lol! That's a sample if cristalle and no 19 on order now too blush

ethelb Tue 13-Nov-12 19:06:14

Fellatio Chanel sensuelle allure is divine. I always get comments. Even walking down the street. And i promise I am not wearing too much!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: