Talk

Advanced search

Running gear to keep me warm in the icy cold mornings!

(13 Posts)
mirai Tue 13-Nov-12 10:37:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DonaAna Tue 13-Nov-12 10:58:03

I use bamboo or wool mix tights. Light goretex trousers for when it rains.
I have a jacket like yours but it can be sweaty - I wear cotton and viscose tees under it but you might explore synthetic technical tops. I prefer a fleece or cotton hoodie for dry days.

The most active runners I see haven't got fancy gear except for good shoes.

Abzs Tue 13-Nov-12 11:15:42

I like the Helly Warm tops - wicking inside, merino outside. Pricy but warm and bombproof. Look around for deals on some of the brighter colours...

I have a Montane windproof jacket and trousers - purely for keeping the wind off, no warmth to it. Your soft shell would be too warm for me, but go and try it - I run hot.

I have a thicker pair of tights with a brushed inside and windproof panels on the thighs for when it's really cold. Mine are New Balance but I can't see them on their website now.

If you're just starting out and not sure what you want/need, then I would suggest having a look at the discounters ranges (Sports Direct etc) as you'll find equivalents but won't have to blow the budget quite so much.

ujjayi Tue 13-Nov-12 12:44:01

I don't care about fancy running gear but I do love my Icebreaker merino leggings. I originally bought them for skiing but have also found them fab for running. I wear running shorts over the top <<for decency's sake and so I don't scare people of a nervous disposition>>

janmoomoo Tue 13-Nov-12 20:10:29

Helly Hanson thermal tops are great for running. Also a good headband, you can get some nice wicking ones which keep your ears warm!

fooolofbeans Wed 14-Nov-12 20:41:51

i rarely feel cold once i'm running, and run in capris and thin shell tops through most of winter, however i've got poor circulation so have started wearing my gloves on morning runs. my best tip for early morning runs is to leave your running gear on a radiator overnight so as you step out of the door on a morning all your clothing feels lovely and warm, helping to mitigate the shock of the cold air outside smile

KatieHen Wed 14-Nov-12 21:12:22

I wear Nike Livestrong tops, they work well for me. x

mirai Wed 14-Nov-12 21:41:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mckenzie Wed 14-Nov-12 21:46:24

is it possible to do a quick run round the block before you set off for your proper run on a very cold day? You could go out initially in a fleece on top of usual running gear then return to your house and drop it off once you've warmed up a tad.
Personally I find as long as my head and hands are covered, I'm like fooolofbeans and still wear knee lengths and a short sleeve or if I do start with a Helly Hanson on it's soon tied round my waist.

CointreauVersial Wed 14-Nov-12 23:15:14

I wear Nike Capris, a long-sleeved dri-fit top, then a lightweight Nike running jacket over the top. If it's really nippy I'll swap that for a fleece (I have a big Aigle one that does the job).

The crucial items are my gloves; that's the one part of me that doesn't warm up once I get going!

I second the suggestion of going to Sports Direct - you really don't need to pay a lot for anything, with the exception of your shoes.

ditherers Wed 14-Nov-12 23:22:56

For me the absolute best thing is a buff - can normally pick up a pack.of 3 for £6 in txmaxx. Great for keeping ears warm and head if you need it but can convert to headband midrun. Gloves great too - i just use ones from the pundshop. - they are off and tucked in my running tights after a while but really needed at the start.

MonkeyGoneToHeaven Thu 15-Nov-12 10:48:56

Under Armour Cold Gear top here

Best thing I ever bought for running, ever.

Firsttimer7259 Thu 15-Nov-12 12:25:23

Some sort of thermal baselayer is needed. I now ahve a running top which is better, but I used ti make do with an old thermal long sleeve under a loose long sleeve tee.
A light jacket is good if its raining. A helly is great too for when its really cold. When its really cold gloves are good.

At the mo I layer cotton vest, long sleeve top and then running top. PLus dri fit running leggings. I might invest in an extra, tighter baselayer to replace the long sleeve vest as winter gets colder (Im in Scotland). You can make do with less running specific stuff - I did for ages, but proper running kit is somehow more convenient. Stays drier washes faster etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now