Talk

Advanced search

Eyelash Curlers

(18 Posts)
middleagedspread Mon 12-Nov-12 15:42:35

Do you use them? If so which brand can you recommend? I keep reading that they are a 'must have' & feel in need of wide awake eyes smile

Please don't advised heated ones; I once bought some & struggled.

Whitershadeofpale Mon 12-Nov-12 15:47:47

I love them, I've tried a few but the Shu Umerua are definately the best. I got them from buyapower for about £14.

middleagedspread Mon 12-Nov-12 15:51:26

Great thanks. Do you use mascara before or after & does the curl stay in?

Whitershadeofpale Mon 12-Nov-12 17:23:04

I use mascara after I do one curl at the base of the lashes and hold for about 30seconds and then sort of pump the curlers to the end if my lashes. The curl drops slightly during the day but it's definately still noticeable.

valiumredhead Mon 12-Nov-12 18:07:36

Yes I do use them every day. Best ones so far have been John Lewis own brand for a fiver. I use them before putting on mascara.

middleagedspread Mon 12-Nov-12 18:37:45

Thanks very much. Are the Shu Umerua & JL ones both metal? I have seen some plastic ones.

Whenisitmysleepytime Mon 12-Nov-12 18:39:28

I used my cheap and ancient boots ones for the first time in years at the weekend.

And I got told I looked like winnona Ryder! I was very shock blush grin

Whenisitmysleepytime Mon 12-Nov-12 18:42:40

Sorry - not just boasting. I meant to say it really opened up my sleepy eyes and the curl seemed to stay after I had done a coat of mascara.

I might invest in some less decrepit ones! smile

xmasevebundle Mon 12-Nov-12 19:18:54

When i use to do this( i have turned to the fake eyelashes everyday, took to much time)

I put a hairdryer on the curlers until they got a little hot, it did keep the curl in all day for me grin

Whitershadeofpale Mon 12-Nov-12 23:47:43

Shu umeura are metal smile

Helltotheno Mon 12-Nov-12 23:50:54

Shu Uemura.. by the far the best I've ever owned anyway...

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 12-Nov-12 23:51:27

i dont think you need expensive ones - i use superdrugs own which are about £2.99.

they all seem to do the same job imo. just use them and apply mascara straight away.

NewNames Tue 13-Nov-12 00:04:53

You must get metal - plastic ones are crap! Wait until your lashes are dry before using - so not when they are wet when you get out of the shower! Clamp hard near the base of your lashes and again halfway down. Then mascara them!

I sometimes curl again when my mascara is bone dry - never when wet! Again, clamp fairly hard smile

2blessed2bstressed Tue 13-Nov-12 00:15:48

I have cautionary tale re eyelash curlers....my little sis used to use them regularly (always before mascara), but one day they removed a clump of eyelashes right in the middle of her eye! Probably a good 20% of her eyelashes! She has never us them since -understandably.
I might have tried them before that happened to her, but wouldn't dream of it now. I did however have a new treatment at the salon last week, called LVL lashes. The therapist tinted then kind of straightened/permed my eyelashes, and they look amazing! It's almost like I'm wearing falsies, they look loads longer, and as a consequence, I look much more wide awake. It's supposed to last 6 -8 weeks, will keep you posted grin

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 13-Nov-12 00:31:37

i tore all mine out too 2blessed - twice.
the handle was wibbly and it slipped.....

Jaeme Tue 13-Nov-12 13:28:59

Not sure if its just an old wives tale but I was told to apply mascara after curling as curling lashes after you've already applied the mascara can break your lashes

Naysa Tue 13-Nov-12 14:24:28

Jaeme this is true, mascara makes your eyelashes very dry and brittle. Curling them after mascara can snap and break you eyelashes

NewNames Tue 13-Nov-12 16:43:28

Always been fine for me! My eyelashes look fab wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now