Talk

Advanced search

Fluffy hair, help needed

(19 Posts)
Selks Sun 11-Nov-12 15:54:14

Need your wisdom ladies on how I can best manage my fluffy hair.

I have a medium length layered bob; my hair is fine but thick-ish and is a bit wavy/kinky.

In the mornings I literally need to shower and go; no time for styling and faffing - my hair dries in the car on the drive to work. I need to wash my hair every day otherwise it feels nasty.

The problem is if I just shampoo my hair it does not go into nice waves it just goes into a fluffy mass, particularly on my left side (must sleep on that side).

If I use a traditional conditioner it just makes my hair go flat.

I've tried the following combos -
shampoo - on wet hair spray leave in conditioner on prone-to-fluff areas only
shampoo - leave to dry then scrunch in leave in conditioner cream onto offending areas
shampoo - leave to dry then use tiny amount of styling wax on offending areas

All of those methods help a bit, but what I really want is hair with fab looking messy waves with a bit of texture, not a wodge of bonjed-down fluff.

Any tips gladly received.

Selks Sun 11-Nov-12 15:56:21

The cut is good by the way. Just got it cut a week ago and it looked great leaving the salon. Washed it the next morning and it was back to being a fluffy helmet sad

Selks Sun 11-Nov-12 16:35:38

bump

BeauNeidel Sun 11-Nov-12 17:32:05

Sounds like you need some definition without weight, oil or wax. Any of those will just make your hair look greasy and won't actually define anything.

Have you seen these new Tresemme products? I think the Devine Definition Spray or the Tousled Wave Spray would be good for your hair. They probably have salt in them, so it won't give you shiny silky waves but will give you tousled beach hair, defined but not waxy. I haven't actually used either of those but they are better value than this T&G one which I don't think is being made anymore. It's great though on my curly hair, when really I should wash it, I can just spray some of that on, let it dry naturally and it redefines the curls without putting layers of something greasy on it.

HTH!

BeauNeidel Sun 11-Nov-12 17:37:33

I've written that like an advert, promise I don't work for them! grin

Selks Sun 11-Nov-12 17:42:06

"Sounds like you need some definition without weight, oil or wax." Yes I do indeed. Thanks for your link - they look interesting products - not sure which would be best, the 'tousled wave spray' (sounds good grin) or the 'divine definition' spray.

What actually IS definition, in hair terms? Is it what I'm trying to achieve? <clueless>

MrsMeow Sun 11-Nov-12 19:48:17

Have you tried John Frieda Finishing Creme?

You put it on dry hair so you could use it in the mornings. It's really lightweight but you only need a tiny bit and it smells fab.

IAmOptimusPrime Sun 11-Nov-12 20:05:22

I know lots of people hate silicones but frizz ease is the only thing that helps my hair. Mine is shoulder length and wavy/curly.

I use Aveda shampure shampoo and conditioner when I can afford it but if not I use whatever shampoo I have with l'oreal ever pure no sulphates smoothing conditioner.

I then stick 2 pumps of normal strength frizz ease on when my hair is soaking wet, I keep a bottle in the shower so I remember to do it then.

I then don't brush it, just run my fingers through a bit and let it dry naturally, I do twist it a bit while it dries if I remember and voila my hair is done!! It now curls really nicely and I no longer have puffy hair.

Selks Sun 11-Nov-12 20:07:34

Thanks MrsMeow. That product does seem to be a leave in conditioner quite similar to one one I've tried (this one) so I'm not sure but thanks for the suggestion anyway. smile

Selks Sun 11-Nov-12 20:10:37

Thanks Optimus. I don't know anything about silicones in hair products. Does the frizz ease smooth hair down? I still want body, just not fluffy body. Might give it a go with the frizz ease - must admit I've not tried it - assumed it was for more full on frizzy/curly hair than mine is.

IAmOptimusPrime Sun 11-Nov-12 20:31:39

It works if you put it on soaking wet hair. It gives mine more definition and better curls. You can buy small travel bottles so you wouldn't have to buy a load of it, if you hate it I'll buy it off you!! Maybe use 1 pump and a volumising shampoo? Volumising stuff is my enemy, I don't have thick hair but just a fair amount of it.

IAmOptimusPrime Sun 11-Nov-12 20:33:07

Should have said it doesn't smooth your hair flat. Only GHDs can do that to my hair.

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Sun 11-Nov-12 21:14:47

I take 'definition' to be the opposite of frizz. If you imagine a spiral curl with very defined edges it is the opposite of hair grouping together in clouds of frizz (like mine often does!)

Selks Mon 12-Nov-12 13:05:26

Thanks both.

thisisthestory Mon 12-Nov-12 20:30:24

Alternatively you could wash your hair with conditioner only - I've been doing it since September last year, and it really does work. My hair is the same as yours I think, soft and fluffy, with canopy frizz and it doesn't separate into waves, it's just one solid fluffball.

I use only conditioner for normal hair instead of shampoo, conditioner and serum for dry hair like I used to, and use it like shampoo, massaging scalp with finger pads etc.

Avoid methyl/propylparaben, and also avoid (to a lesser extent) silicones too.

It works very well I find. Best conditioner for this is Sains own brand condtioner for normal hair (88p or so), also Pantene for fine hair is good (although I may change to conditioner for volume as my hair is a little fluffy with this one) I've also used Alberto Balsam (green bottle one for normal hair).

I no longer get greasy roots and crispy ends, and also have a far more comfortable scalp too. I can go a few days without washing it too, I just cave in when it looks a bit unkempt.

Look up "curly girl" or CO (conditioner only) method you will find lots on this.

My hair is no longer fluffy (it's about 85% - 90% improvement) and has a nice soft texture, not flat, not frizzy.

And this is cheap too, although you do have to experiment with lighter conditioners at first to find the right one.

berri Mon 12-Nov-12 20:51:06

Can I just ask whether you put the Frizz Ease/Finishing Creme all over your hair, ie the roots too? Just because that's where most of my frizz is, but if I put products right on the top it tends to make it greasy immediately...

Selks Tue 13-Nov-12 13:31:05

Conditioner only would be disaster for my hair, This. It would just go seriously limp I think. Thank you though smile.

valiumredhead Tue 13-Nov-12 13:46:05

You need L'oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil - the most weightless stuff in the world that just tames your hair effortlessly - fab stuff!

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Tue 13-Nov-12 13:52:30

I commented on how swingy and fab a friend's hair was looking and was rewarded with her secret which was Revlon's Equave conditioner. The look of my hair has improved massively since I started using it and it's much more manageable, even first thing.

I think that Equave is only available online or direct from hairdressers. Stupid name but great product.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now