Talk

Advanced search

Help me find a dressing gown - losing the will to live!

(14 Posts)
MuddyWellyNelly Sat 10-Nov-12 21:46:44

Not the most exciting purchase I know! I own a fluffy cosy lovely M&S dressing gown, perfect for our cold house. But I'm getting married soon, so was looking for a much lighter dressing gown that will do double duty as a pre-putting-on-dress wrap, plus I can take on my honeymoon. I therefore am looking for the following:

Sits just above the knee
Not see-through, but not fluffy/bulky/overly warm
With normal length sleeves, possibly 3/4 length but not kimono
Not grey in colour!
Cotton or other natural fibre

I'm actually thinking something like this dress (I love all Icebreaker stuff) which I may end up getting; but my H2B thinks merino will be too warm for our honeymoon, which is tropical.

I've looked in various stores locally as well as M&S, JL's, notonthehighstreet.com, Gap etc and coming up blank.

Help please grin

YDdraigGoch Sat 10-Nov-12 21:50:21

It's probably the wrong time of year to be looking for that type of dressing gown sad. Can you wait until they bring more lightweight clothes out after Christmas?

HackneyCabbage Sat 10-Nov-12 21:57:46

That icebreaker dress is lovely, but merino will be much too hot if you're going somewhere tropical. You're far better off with something pure cotton (not terry) or silk.

http://www.selfridges.com/en/Christmas/Categories/Christmas-Gifts/Lingerie-Nightwear/Silk-swing-robe_211-3001781-4172M100/

MuddyWellyNelly Sat 10-Nov-12 22:01:31

YD I know. Unfortunately (fortunately? grin) we get married just before Christmas and honeymoon just after so really need to get it now.

Thanks Hackney, the shape is nice but (forgot to specify) I am more a snuggly wool person than a slinky silk wink. I'll have a look at Selfridges in more detail though, thank you.

MuddyWellyNelly Sat 10-Nov-12 22:05:24

This one is nice, not too Desperate Housewives, but still a little bit sexy. It's probably just a bit too short though.

YDdraigGoch Sat 10-Nov-12 22:20:29

Can you get one made?

MissBoPeep Sat 10-Nov-12 22:21:52

Have you looked at www.figleaves.com

MuddyWellyNelly Sat 10-Nov-12 22:23:06

Well my Mum's making my wedding dress but think she'd have a heart attack if I told her she had to make me a dressing gown too. Might tip her over the edge grin.

Problem then is I still have to find suitable fabric; but I might look into that if I'm still coming up blank. Found one possible on Figleaves. ASOS nothing at all.

PoppyWearer Sat 10-Nov-12 22:25:55

Buy a long one and chop off some of the length?

I had to do this with a towelling one anyway, as I'm a shortarse! Dry cleaner did it for a tenner and now it's the perfect length for me.

piprabbit Sat 10-Nov-12 22:30:07

Something like this in pink or blue?

MuddyWellyNelly Sat 10-Nov-12 22:30:39

Oh this is a definite option, I like it smile

MuddyWellyNelly Sat 10-Nov-12 22:31:33

haha Piprabbit - cross post, snap! grin.

Yes I think that's exactly what I'm looking for, thank you!

piprabbit Sat 10-Nov-12 22:33:12

I love a good MN cross-post grin.

Startail Sat 10-Nov-12 23:09:34

Dressing gown, Honeymoon???
I'm guessing I took and didn't wear one ancient night shirt.
But DH and I had spent 2 years sharing a single bead in his bed sit and at my parents and a double air mattress in my student digs that night wear didn't really figure in our relationship.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now