Talk

Advanced search

Fragrances & Perfumes - Not by Celebs or Fashion Houses

(18 Posts)
MagdaMagyarMadam Sat 10-Nov-12 17:37:52

I am looking for a change from the usual fragrances marketed by designers and fashion houses.

Any recommendations?

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 10-Nov-12 17:39:23

What do you like? How about Annick Goutal, Creed, Les Exclusifs by Chanel? Serge Lutens, Frederic Malle? If you are in London, go to Les Senteurs. Oh and read the thread about the worst perfume ever, cos it isn't about that at all!

GlaikitFizzog Sat 10-Nov-12 17:39:31

I was going to say Chanel no 5 but tis a fashion house! Um, white musk from the body shop?

PoppyWearer Sat 10-Nov-12 17:40:36

Jo Malone.

DonaAna Sat 10-Nov-12 18:04:08

For relatively affordable but slightly different perfumes, also try L'Artisan Parfumeur and Diptyque.

Comme des Garcons is great for conceptual and modern perfumes.
And do read The Worst Perfume thread - lots of ideas there.

Second vote for Jo Malone. Love the pomegranate noir fragrance.

I bought DH some lovely aftershave from L'Occitane in an outlet centre once, they had a good range of Fragrance.

SoYo Sat 10-Nov-12 18:46:49

Jo Malone pomegranate noir is my all time fave! I'm hoping for some for Christmas (after some heavy hinting to DH)

SkyFell Sat 10-Nov-12 19:05:51

I really liked the new Liz Earle when I has a tester of it a couple of weeks ago.

MagdaMagyarMadam Sat 10-Nov-12 19:51:39

Lots of ideas here - thanks. I'll take a look on the 'worst perfume' thread. I like Penhaligan's for some of their flower fragrances but I find them fairly short-lived and more suited to daytime.

ifancyashandy Sun 11-Nov-12 10:07:18

I just started wearing Diptyque 34. It's quite gingery to begin with but then softens to a slightly musky scent on me. Nice for winter.

Curtsey Sun 11-Nov-12 10:13:27

Origins' Ginger Essence skin scent. It really lovely - bergamot and ginger. Sweet and citrussy and subtle. But it really depends on what you like.

auldspinster Sun 11-Nov-12 18:36:32

Classic Guerlain - Mitsouko, jicky, l'heure bleu etc

DonaAna Sun 11-Nov-12 21:06:29

Op, if Magyar means that you are in Hungary, check out Parfümeria Neroli and their stunning perfume samples.

MagdaMagyarMadam Tue 13-Nov-12 20:14:23

Dona - I'm not resident in Hungary but am there 2/3 times a year. I will be putting this on my list of shops to visit when I'm in Budapest. I have looked at the sites you have all mentioned and I am going to try getting a range of samples to see what I like.

After reading the Worst Perfume thread I am almost afraid of mentioning my previous favourites... okay here goes,

Issey
Angel
Chanel No 5 and Coco
Clarins Eau Dynamisante
Calache
Balmain - Ivoire

oh and when I was in my teens - Mary Quant's Havoc.

I think I have a strange skin as most popular perfumes smell awful on me - like cat's pee blush

DonaAna Wed 14-Nov-12 11:30:05

Oh nothing wrong with your perfume preferences - you have a really classic taste and also quite a range (aquatic, oriental/gourmand, citrus, and you are really big on aldehydes). Check the Amouages at Neroli when you are there - Gold Woman might please anyone who loves Chanel No. 5 and Caleche. You might also want to sample Parfums de Nicolai - Patricia de Nicolai does both great orientals and stylish classics.

Most popular mainstream perfumes smell awful on anyone - they are really aiming for the lowest common denominator and go for shampoo and candy smells.

ifancyashandy Thu 15-Nov-12 06:52:28

Candy smells! Yes! That's exactly what most perfumes smell like to me. People rave about Jimmy Choo, the Eli Saab (sp), the Marc Jacobs, the Chloe range, Flower Bomb, Angel, the Guccis - any of the popular scents but they all smell like (I imagine) Jordan's perfume to me. Just awful and sugary - like candy floss.

I wear No5 & Coco mainly. And do love them both - No5 especially makes me lean into the scent; to want to inhale more. Estée Lauder 'Bronze Goddess' was a recent summer favourite (dreadful name but smells like old fashion sun tan oil). I also have Aromatics Elixir but find it a bit too 'flat' and dry. Also love No19.

I like a couple of the Creed scents - Virgin Island Water and another I can't remember the name of. And ADORE the Chanel Gardenia - I've promised myself I shall wear it if I marry. And tried the Dior New Look 1947 yesterday - lovely. Don't mind Diptyque 34 either. And some of the Aqua de Palma - think its the Colonial.

Can't abide vetivert (hugely negative reaction & instant headache), jasmine (if it's the main scent) or vanilla on its own. Or overt rose scents. I have an instant negative reaction to many many perfumes.

Any I should try based on this scant info?

DonaAna Thu 15-Nov-12 08:09:46

Join the Budding perfumista thread, you prefer the good stuff and there are lots of recommendations there.

Random recs: Chanel 22, Amouage Gold, First.
Do you like L heure bleue by Guerlain or Femme by Rochas?

ifancyashandy Thu 15-Nov-12 08:13:34

Thank you! I haven't tried the Guerlain or Roccas perfumes - will look them up. And the others - I really want to find a scent that I love but that isn't mass market so appreciate your tips and will look out the other thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now