Talk

Advanced search

Mascara recommendations please.

(22 Posts)
Dingle Sat 10-Nov-12 13:21:01

I need help choosing a mascara. I don't want to spend an absolute fortune but would like a decent one. Black or black/brown waterproof or smudge proof.

I was also going to pop one in my mum's Xmas stocking but she needs some type of lash building mascara!

Help please. x

SweetieDoesIt Sat 10-Nov-12 14:14:35

I have tried loads over the years and always find myself returning to mx factor 2000 calorie. I wear contact lenses so find some too fibrous or smudge but this never does. It does build lashes without clumping and they now have different style brushes. I think is is usually £8.99 in boots.

MikeLitoris Sat 10-Nov-12 14:15:58

Its £18.50 in boots but 'they're real' by benefit is amazing.

Cybbo Sat 10-Nov-12 14:21:59

The origins brightening one is great - I usually use waterproof cos I hate smudges but this is fantastic, no smudging at all

BeauNeidel Sat 10-Nov-12 14:24:05

I like Maybelline 'The Falsies' in waterproof black. Really looks nice and doesn't flake like some waterproofs.

hermioneweasley Sat 10-Nov-12 14:26:30

I have tried everything from expensive down to market stall and can't tell the difference. Usually just buy from Avon as its convenient.

Witco Sat 10-Nov-12 14:28:53

Lancome dolls eyes, best by a mile and I have sensitive eyes

MooMinCow Sat 10-Nov-12 14:33:55

Mascara is such a personal preference, I think it is so hard to get the right one without trial and error sad

What are you natural lashes like OP? (long/short/curly/thick/sparse). Do you prefer a large or small brush, the new rubbery style brushes or more traditional bristle brush? All helps to point you in the right direction! grin

EdwardtheEagle Sat 10-Nov-12 15:13:05

Another vote for mabeyline falsies

knitknack Sat 10-Nov-12 15:16:40

yy 2000 calorie - knocks spots off all others!!

bishboschone Sat 10-Nov-12 16:50:34

Max factor 2000 calorie ! I have used it for years, tried more expensive ones but always come back to it .

valiumredhead Sat 10-Nov-12 17:11:08

Max Factor Masterpiece - the black tube, never use anything else.

Aquelven Sat 10-Nov-12 17:38:55

Another vote for Max Factor 2000 Calorie.
Tried just about everything but always come back to this.

suebfg Sat 10-Nov-12 18:12:33

Another vote for Max Factor Masterpiecey

Chewbecca Sat 10-Nov-12 19:22:27

Not cheap but I love YSL false lash effect mascara, def does what it says on the tin and really improves the look of my lashes

titan Sat 10-Nov-12 19:50:43

The YSL faux cils one is good. Slightly more expensive and slightly better IMO is the By Terry one. It contains things to make your lashes actually grow longer and thicker if that's what you're looking for. You do see a difference after a few weeks use. Costs around £30 from Space NK.

seabuckthorn Sat 10-Nov-12 19:55:55

I'm with valium and suebfg maxfactor master piece is fab. I like how they separate and lengthen without looking fake IMO.

ENormaSnob Sat 10-Nov-12 20:27:48

I like loreal telescopic lengths.

Starfishkiss Sat 10-Nov-12 20:29:51

YY to Maxfactor's 2000 calorie, it's the mascara I can't help but always go back to, it makes my lashes so pretty!

JRsandCoffee Sat 10-Nov-12 20:43:46

I have a lengthening estee lauder one, can't use any of the lash building ones as they irritate my eyes but this one is fine and gives a really good "my lashes only better" kind of effect....

RedBerryJoyTown Sat 10-Nov-12 21:39:11

Maxfactor Masterpiece X is the one I always go back to after trying others. Cheap enough to replace quite frequently as I find it does start to flake when it gets older (but maybe they all do?). Lenghtens, defines but not too OTT.

pollyteapot Sun 11-Nov-12 07:26:12

Lancome Hypnose os the only mascara I ever use. I tried a fab one from YSL (a treat for myself) and took an allergic reaction. Also had reactions to revlon and maybeline. But I always go back to Hypnose - no smudges at all and the tube lasts a fair long time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now