Talk

Advanced search

Confused - please, please tell me how to wear ankle boots with skinnies!

(18 Posts)
polyhymnia Sat 10-Nov-12 10:48:34

Lots of people on here obviously wear ankle boots with skinnies at the moment.

I have both, but please could someone just tell me the 'rules', because I'm confused.

I don't really want always (at all??) to tuck the jeans in. But if not, what then?
Won't any buckles, etc on the boots spoil the fit of the bottom of the jeans/ make them bulge oddly?? Is the answer simply to roll up the jeans to appropriate length?

Help!

CointreauVersial Sat 10-Nov-12 11:02:57

It depends very much on the style of the boot. If they are very narrow/close-fitting at the ankle then it is harder to tuck jeans in, then, yes, it can look lumpy. I always tend to buy slightly wider-ankle boots for that reason.

UnrequitedSkink Sat 10-Nov-12 11:06:12

I'm confused! (Doesn't take much). I thought the point of ankle boots was so that skinnies could fit inside neatly? If a skinny jean doesn't 'hug' your ankle then it's not a skinny, surely?

BeauNeidel Sat 10-Nov-12 11:12:38

I would roll the jeans up so you have a little tiny gap at the top. If they are the shoe sort of type rather than proper ankle boots that go under jeans.

Biker style boots I would tuck in. For some reason I can't link from this computer (at work) but looking at the Dune website, I would tuck into the Rookie D style, roll up on the Packmoors (I covet these ones!) and wear bootcut or straight jeans over the top with the Pedro sort of style.

polyhymnia Sun 11-Nov-12 12:02:01

Thanks for that - it's helpful.

Any more thoughts??

BrianGiggs Sun 11-Nov-12 12:27:47

i let mine flop over

polyhymnia Sun 11-Nov-12 15:16:24

Do they 'flop over' evn if boots have bucles, or does that only work with more streamlined ones??

Perhaps I'm overhthinking this!

NotMostPeople Sun 11-Nov-12 15:20:00

The ankle boots need to be wide enough to allow for the skinnies to sit inside. If they aren't then you are doomed grin.

Iatemyskinnyperson Sun 11-Nov-12 15:22:27

I was wondering this very thing. I like the skinny/ankle boot combo, but when I've tried any on, it looks totally mumsy. Does the boot have to be very close at the ankle? I have a feeling that might be where I'm going wrong.

polyhymnia Sun 11-Nov-12 15:40:50

From the comment that the boot needs to be wide enough for the skinny to go inside I guess it shouldn't be close at the ankle.

But I guess as an earlier poster said it does all depend on the boot!
No wonder I'm confused ...

Can't post the boots I'm thinking of getting ( flat, with buckles) so guess only way is to go into a shop wearing my skinnies and see how/if the combination works.

XiCi Sun 11-Nov-12 16:13:58

I wear exactly as BeauNeidel said. For low, shoe boot type boots I roll up, normal ankle boots need to be tucked in

You need to try them and see what works, as boots and skinnies (and legs!) vary so much. I have tan ones from last Winter which good with the skinnies tucked into them. I have new black ones, which I'm finding actually look better with thick socks peeping out and the jeans slightly rolled up or even with legwarmers (1980s girl at heart!) as without them, they look a bit aging rock chick which is not a look I'm after.

Trills Sun 11-Nov-12 16:30:04

First you put on the trousers.
The the boots.
Not the other way around.
HTH

(or did you mean something else by how to wear? smile)

BeauNeidel Sun 11-Nov-12 17:22:58

grin @ Trills

polyhymnia Sun 11-Nov-12 17:38:58

Mmm, wouldn't have thought of that!

Trills Sun 11-Nov-12 17:49:56

The thing about skinny jeans is that you often have to put toy socks on first too. With my bootcut jeans I can put jeans on and then socks afterwards.

polyhymnia Sun 11-Nov-12 18:35:54

Indeed. Have found with skinnies, as opposed to my bootcuts, that if I don't put socks - toy or otherwise - on first, I end up perching on my bed and rolling jeans almost up to my knees to get the socks on. Which is a faff.

Trills Sun 11-Nov-12 18:37:30

grin toy socks

Sorry.

Not sure how "your" got turned into "toy".

It's nearly the same letters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now