Talk

Advanced search

Where do you shop if you are early 30s and have to look smart for work?

(20 Posts)
felicityscully Fri 09-Nov-12 18:10:13

Early 30s and have to look smart for work.

Reiss and Whistles = stylish but too expensive and everything dry clean only or hand wash which is not practical

Lots of other high street shops seem too tatty for work, or the skirts are so short (I'm quite tall). Ok for nightclubs but not for work.

M&S = prices ok and like fact clothes can be machine washed and stock lots of smart work type clothes. But is it a bit frumpy for early 30s?

I want to look super smart, yet stylish and sexy, not frumpy!

LittlePandaBear Fri 09-Nov-12 18:12:08

I noticed some nice workwear in Mango recently, shift dresses and smart trousers, maybe worth a look?

bunjies Fri 09-Nov-12 18:14:32

I really like Banana Republic but then again I am not early forties sad. However, their clothes aren't mumsy and do fit well.

bunjies Fri 09-Nov-12 18:15:01

Sorry that should have said I AM early forties blush.

lottiegarbanzo Fri 09-Nov-12 18:20:56

Hobbes and Jigsaw - both on the expensive side but, depending on your shape, Hobbes suits are fab, classic and long-lasting, so years of wear, not a season's.

lottiegarbanzo Fri 09-Nov-12 18:23:28

It's Hobbs without the e isn't it.

People Tree are variable season to season but sometimes good for basic work trousers, skirts and shirts.

Whistles in the sale is good! That's the only time I buy from them and the things I have from there are all really distinctive.

kikidee Fri 09-Nov-12 18:32:38

Ah, the eternal dilemma. Very difficult isn't it? I'm 40 but have the same aim and the same shops above my station. Love Whistles, Reiss, Hobbs and some Jaeger but so expensive. I've had some success with Cos which has some lovely dresses at reasonable prices. M&S seems to have gone downhill a bit recently but some of the Autograph things are nice. Will watch this with interest.

reindeerjumper Fri 09-Nov-12 18:36:40

I've found some nice stuff at Phase Eight and Hobbs NW3

2gorgeousboys Fri 09-Nov-12 18:40:23

I'm 35 and my core work wardrobe consists of a couple of Austin Reed suits (one trouser and one skirt) plus some shift dresses and jackets from LK Bennett. I've also got some suprisingly good dresses from Dorothy Perkins which wash really well and don't need much ironing. I get my Austin Reed and LK Bennett things from their outlet stores or in the sales. Hobbs usually have some good discounts as well.

milktraylady Fri 09-Nov-12 18:44:24

Wallis is good.

The Hobbs outlet bit often has some great reductions on jackets and I've got a couple from there. They are dry clean only though, which is a bit of a pain.

I tend to wear a jacket over a plain top and pencil skirt, or over a plain jersey dress from The White Company, rather than full on suits. I've got one skirt suit from M&S which is actually really not bad - it's got a v fitted corset style jacket and a pencil skirt with a little pleat detail at the back.

Very nice if you are size 12 or below

Bargain cropped one if you can get away with double breasted

1940s vibe

BlingBubbles Fri 09-Nov-12 19:04:38

Depends what you mean my smart, suit smart or just smart?

I think Zara and Mango have great smart stuff for work.

BlingBubbles Fri 09-Nov-12 19:05:14

Oh yes and Dorothy Perkins

trixymalixy Fri 09-Nov-12 19:07:40

Zara and cos.

Sparkles23 Fri 09-Nov-12 19:09:19

I'm early 30s and I get most of my work clothes from Zara with odd bits from H&M. Zara is great for basics and their clothes ranges are quite co-ordinated so it all goes with each other.

Icanboogie Fri 09-Nov-12 19:27:13

I absolutely love Gap work trousers - they have some called 'perfect trousers' and they are ! They fit well (and have an assortment of fits for different shapes) and machine washable

This season they also have some nice jackets as well. Buy before Sunday for 30% off with their VIP code...

eagerbeagle Fri 09-Nov-12 19:51:31

Phase eight great for work dresses. Always shop the sales. Fenn wright Manson in the sale. Episode and planet for bits, again in the sales. Got a lovely dress from Mary Portas at house of Fraser. You guessed it. Sale.

I buy mostly online as you get better range of sizes and just send back what doesn't work. I look for classic cuts and fabrics which I think look more professional. I'm a lawyer so tend to the conservative for work though.

suebfg Fri 09-Nov-12 20:46:43

I like Hobbs and M&S - I'm also a big fan of online shopping too

Beaverfeaver Fri 09-Nov-12 20:55:26

I got a really good pair of smart trousers and tops from h&m

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now