Talk

Advanced search

Merrell coats - please help!

(15 Posts)
Cydonia Thu 08-Nov-12 12:04:09

In my quest for a new waterproof winter coat I came across some old threads on here about the Merrell Wakefield. It seems to come very highly recommended and looked just the thing.

But... I can't seem to find anywhere to buy one! It seems to have changed into the Ellenwood? ( or something! ) Is that the new version? It also seems a bit pricey sad So I now have a couple of questions for you Merrell experts out there :

* Can I still buy a Wakefield from anywhere?
* I am 5ft 2 and a size 14 top and 12 bottom. Will it be too long?
* Would I be better off with a Haven? Or a different type? I need it to be warm, waterproof, have a decent hood and cover my bum, ideally mid thigh ish.
* Which size would be best?
* Where's the cheapest place to buy?

Erm, think that's it! I have a birthday coming up and hoping DP will treat me but he might baulk at anything over £150!

Littlepumpkinpie Thu 08-Nov-12 13:22:19

The Wakefield is now called the Ellenwood just a new name nothing more smile
Sorry I cannot help you further on that style. I have the Haven perfect for us pettite ladies and lovely and warm plus waterproof. Well worth the ££££ mines on its third year and looks brand new still.

Cydonia Thu 08-Nov-12 13:27:46

Thanks, maybe I'll be better off with the Haven then. I think I prefer the style of that one too.

maybunny Thu 08-Nov-12 14:04:04

My ellenwood arrived today from shop outdoors, it cost £145 with free delivery. I am 5'3" and currently a size 14 and ordered a large. It's just the right length and the waist hits at the right place but the arms are quite long and baggy on me. I would say that I need the large size for the bottom half but not the top half, so a medium would prob be ok on you. It is a lovely coat and I preferred the more streamlined look of it compared to the haven, but that's just my opinion!

NettoSpookerstar Thu 08-Nov-12 15:06:21

I bought the Haven today in Black's sale for £65.
It looks gorgeous on. I'm 5'2, size 8 and have the small.
My friend has it and loves it, though she only paid £40 on e-bay bitch

Cydonia Fri 09-Nov-12 02:47:25

Well they're both cheaper than I've seen online so back to the searching! Maybunny where does the Ellenwood sit on you length-wise? Don't like the sound of the sleeves though, I have short arms so struggle with that.

GrownupGoth Fri 09-Nov-12 03:17:42

They had the Haven in TK Maxx in the clearance section for £40. Sadly for me they only had small.

QuiteOldGal Fri 09-Nov-12 06:02:46

I have a Wakefield and am 5' 10", I find the sleeves just right on me and have long arms. I bought the large and am size 12-14 and it fits a jumper underneath. You may get away with a medium but if you have short arms you would most probably find the sleeves much too long.

I must say it is the best fitting coat I have ever had though, but I am tall.

i don't know about the sleeves on the Ellenwood though, if they are the same length.

maybunny Fri 09-Nov-12 08:38:34

I've heard the ellenwood is the same as the Wakefield - just a new name for this year. The length is just above my knee but the back dips down slightly longer. I don't mind the sleeve length on me, as my hands aren't completely covered or anything and it helps keep my wrists warm!

Cydonia Fri 09-Nov-12 11:42:12

Hmmm think the Wakefield/Ellenwood might be a bit long then, though it would keep me super dry I suppose! I need to try some on I think, we live in the Lakes so hopefully somewhere round here will stock Merrell.

Mewsical Fri 09-Nov-12 20:43:32

Definitely not too long, I prefer the Wakefield to the Haven. The arms are longish but have cuffs that you can adjust so they don't fall down over your hands. The length should be just on/above your knee which I find perfect.

Cydonia Sat 10-Nov-12 09:36:43

Thanks Mewsical, will definitely try both on if I can. Then try and persuade DP that I do indeed need yet another coat....

peggyblackett Sat 10-Nov-12 09:38:57

I'm 5'11" and the Ellenwood fits me perfectly. The arms are spot on a first for me and coats.

lowercase Sat 10-Nov-12 12:57:25

the ellenwood is on ebay, new, selection of colours £120.

wrt the arm length, im 5"5 and the length was fine on wakefield.

lowercase Sat 10-Nov-12 12:57:57

ah, they are in USA.

damn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now