Talk

Advanced search

Help! The moths have eaten my cashmere.

(7 Posts)
cathyandclaire Thu 08-Nov-12 11:14:23

Am gutted, the moths have chewed up my cashmere jumpers.
I have two new Uniqlo ones and I don't want them to go the same way. Do I have to put up with the stench of camphor or is there something new and magical?

BegoniaBigtoes Thu 08-Nov-12 11:22:23

You can by special mothproof clothing bags to put them in though obviously that is a faff - but maybe worth it for cashmere. (Have a google/look on amazon.) I usually get lavender-scented moth sachets from John Lewis and put them in clothes drawers etc - thing is though you have to keep at it and replace them and keep them fresh.

If you are crafty and if the knitwear suits it, you can sometimes make a little crochet flower or butterfly or whatever to cover a moth hole.

I hate moths, little bastards.

Aquelven Thu 08-Nov-12 11:39:35

You can buy sachets of moth deterrent in most supermarkets. Some have little hangers to put on clothes rails. You need to replace them about every six months but I find they work well. I usually hang one in the wardrobe & pop others on shelves in cupboards.
You can darn up the holes carefully so they can't be seen.

teta Thu 08-Nov-12 13:51:08

I keep my cashmere in drawers with cedar balls and lavender.Always store them clean as worn clothes will attract moths.Don't use old fashioned mothballs as they are carcinogenic [and the smell never washes out].I also use hanging sachets in my wardrobe

prelim29 Thu 08-Nov-12 19:18:39

Cashmere advice from one who works in a cashmere shop.....

Always store your cashmere items in plastic bags - you can buy zipped ones or even just use old store bags (sealed).
Cedar balls and lavender help to repel moths.
If you have a moth hole, wash your cashmere and then when it's dry pop it in a bag and place it in the freezer - this will kill any remaining eggs that the moths will have left.
Always wash your cashmere by hand with a soft cashmere shampoo or hand wash with a mild detergent.
The cashmere can then be mended - The Cashmere Clinic in London do virtually invisible mending of moth holes.
The one thing you can't do is return your mothy cashmere to the shop you purchased it from as this may result in the cashmere in the shop becoming infected. The shop will be unable to return it to the mill it was manufactured at for the same reason.

I hope this helps.

mirpuppet Thu 08-Nov-12 19:28:42

Although I am not the OP -- thanks for the through advice prelim29

cathyandclaire Thu 08-Nov-12 20:01:06

Thank-you so much for all the brilliant advice...I am handwashing at the moment, I won't be beaten by the little buggers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now