Talk

Advanced search

I bought Fancy Make-Up yesterday...

(8 Posts)
Curtsey Thu 08-Nov-12 07:52:42

Normally I'm resolutely mid-to-low range in terms of my make-up purchases, but about once every 2 years I have a splurge at the beauty halls.

I bought:

Benefit Boiing concealer (Quick transaction as it was a replacement. Nice sales assistant. Her make-up was flawlessly applied but it was full-on eyes and lips at 11am and too trannyish.)

Estee Lauder double wear foundation (I wanted this for nights out. Was determined to get the palest shade available since I am a milk bottle but somehow left with a light neutral shade- annoyed at self. Was asked 'do you like your foundation to match your skin tone?' Eh- yes! Sales assistant going through the motions over the sale - felt unfulfilled and felt that she did not really know her stuff. Also she had a tide line.)

Dior Awakening Rosy Glow blusher. (Had been looking to match up a shade from an old compact. Talked this one through with lovely sales assistant who understood my reference to 'dolly' pink. Frightful price but left happy and feeling looked after. )

I don't know, does anyone else find the beauty halls a total minefield?

barbie1 Thu 08-Nov-12 08:01:53

Take the Estée Lauder back, if you are unhappy they will exchange for you (used to be counter manager for them)

Being someone who worked in the industry for many year I can totally understand you finding the whole thing a minefield.

I still always research on line, jot things down that I. See recommend on here, magazines, adverts, word of mouth etc.

Then I go and stroll around, tell the sales assistant that you are just looking and if you need help you know where to find her. Don't be put off by them, they all have a 10 point sale talk that they have to go through with each customer.

Curtsey Thu 08-Nov-12 08:19:02

Thanks barbie, I probably will take the foundation back.
Really it's my own fault, I'm not one to be bamboozled easily and I can spot an obvious sales pitch. I had wanted to try the double wear since I had heard they did a very pale shade and I'm obsessive about that! Don't really know what I'm whinging about - I guess in a way I did want that whole 'experience' thing of a big cosy chat etc when buying something expensive but it just didn't happen at estee Lauder.

Littlemissimpatientlovesxmas Thu 08-Nov-12 08:25:01

I was recently looking for a new foundation and found Estée Lauder the worst for sales pitch. I couldn't have a proper conversation with her at all, she wasn't listening to what I wanted and I felt like a 12 year old girl being spoken down to. Never again! If your not happy with it take it back

barbie1 Thu 08-Nov-12 08:25:53

I know what you mean, I felt let down at bobby brown recently. The sales girl didn't give me a choice of shade, slapped it on my and rang it through the till shock
I had my 2 dc's with me (under two, moaning and the usual techyness) I was so shocked I didn't even think and just handed over my card. Didn't even get a bag to put it in angry
When you purchase something a little extravagant, you expect a higher level of service.
If you feel really strongly about the lack of care and service at Estée Lauder, email them via their web page you will probably get a few freebies

barbie1 Thu 08-Nov-12 08:29:35

Also, if its your first time with the Estée foundation, ask for a 10 day free sample. Don't let them tell you no, it's what the brand is know for.
Double wear is very heavy and drying you might decide to find another alternative.

Also, all big brands over a free makeover service. Brownie points to the sales assistant for booking you in! You can book at a time that suits you and will get one to one attention. A great way to try new products without making expensive mistakes wink

valiumredhead Thu 08-Nov-12 09:12:35

Take anything you don't like back - they will swap or defend ime!

lurkingfromhome Thu 08-Nov-12 09:26:06

I've always had great counter service from Estee Lauder, both at John Lewis and Boots. One told me the foundation I was wearing was entirely wrong (which it was), found the correct colour for me (which it was) but refused to sell me a whole bottle until I'd taken away a week's worth of free sample just so that I could make sure I was absolutely happy with it before I bought the full size.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now