Talk

Advanced search

How much is too much to spend on a coat?

(10 Posts)
NWThreeMum Thu 08-Nov-12 03:16:17

Hello everyone. I've seen a beautiful Vivienne Westwood coat, which could be all mine for a large amount of money. How much do you all spend on clothes and what pieces are most worthy of investment? Also, how do I justify the expenditure to my teenage daughter ... I had private tutors for my kids when I thought they needed it (to get through entrance exams etc) and I used the best agency I could find and didn't cut costs. But I don't feel private tennis lessons are 'essential'. I know my daughter will spot the Vivienne Westwood label and all hell will break loose because I've told her she can't have a weekly tennis lesson at the moment. My husband has been making the odd comment about my sloppy clothes lately and I want to spend my money wisely. Any answers would be interesting / appreciated.

MayimBialik Thu 08-Nov-12 05:03:20

You need up think 'cost per wear' and a coat is something that you could theoretically keep for ever and get your money's worth out of. Is it a classic style that won't go out of fashion? And an easy colour to pair up with any outfit? In which case I say go for it!

And as for justifying to your daughter, (I don't have children yet - the one currently cooking didn't get the memo that it was supposed to pop out 4 days ago!) why should you - it's your money! You earned it and from time to time you should spend it on yourself.

And you may find she covets the coat and it gets passed down to her as an investment piece when you kick the bucket wink (in another 50 years of course!!) When my grandmother died recently, myself and my cousins had the pick of several pieces shed left behind, including expensive coats that were older than us but a classic style and well looked after.

Meggles76 Thu 08-Nov-12 06:13:45

I think how much someone spends on an item of clothing is a personal thing depending on their income, outgoings and what they feel comfortable about spending.
Coats, shoes and bags are what I tend to spend more on. A good coat could last you years and end up costing you no more than buying a cheaper one each winter.
As for your daughter, I would point out that you are the adult, you are in control of financial decision making and she will have to accept that.

cathyandclaire Thu 08-Nov-12 06:55:50

I have a vivienne Westwood coat well three actually which I have had for years. They are timeless and make everything under them look better. I'd say go for it, if you can. My newest one is four years old and still feels great and isn't bobbly or tired and I wear it loads, I haven't bought a new coat since apart from the bargain fake fur that's hasn't come out of the boot of my car yet
Next year I may be able to justify another one and I keep trawling eBay to look for discounted ones.

Could it be Xmas Pressie from dh?

VigourMortis Thu 08-Nov-12 07:15:34

We have a 14 yo who checks the labels on new things I get, googles them to get the price and then puts in a claim for a similar article. I ignore - but if I do find myself justifying it, i say it's my money I have worked for, plus I won't grow out of it in months like he will.

A coat has to be a good investment because it's all about the fabric. Protect it from moths though <bitter experience>

ladyintheradiator Thu 08-Nov-12 07:55:37

My children are young so feel free to ignore but imo it is absolutely none of her business what you spend on a coat. Spend your money as you please. When she is earning her own money then she can decide what to spend it on - until then, tough shit.

My mother would not have tolerated my opinion on the cost of her coat.

MirandaWest Thu 08-Nov-12 07:57:33

How much is it?

RibenaFiend Thu 08-Nov-12 08:02:56

Enjoy your beautiful new coat! If DD kicks up a fuss and "all hell breaks loose" just leave her to it. You're the adult, it's your money, it's an "investment piece" and if she has issue with not getting her tennis lessons that's a shame. Of she's determined then perhaps she can invest her pocket/Christmas money in them come January. wink Out of interest... when was the last time she took her racket out to the park/local courts/somewhere free and just played? My mum pointed that out to me when I wanted more lessons at 13 and I realised I wanted lessons because my friends were having them but I wasn't very good and I didn't actually enjoy it!

waistnhips Thu 08-Nov-12 08:06:12

It all depends. If the coat is one that you'd get wear out for 5 years or so then it's worth it. If it's high fashion and will look dated in 2 years then don't do it. If the quality is poor and it will bobble or crease a lot even with a designer lable- don't do it.

The DD is another issue. Why do you need to justify your spending on anything to a child? Unless of course you drink gin all day and your kids have no food or shoes smile Until and unless she contributes to the household finances she isn't really able to comment - is she? If tennis lessons are that important to her she could babysit, get a paper round , or do something to help pay for them.

How much is the coat? I paid £300 for a coat about 15 years back and it felt a fortune. It was a "classic" which meant it was really staid and in the end I hated it and gave it to my Mum.

Last year I spent £250 from a top end of High Street and I love the coat which will last 2-3 years at least.

morethanalltheteainchina Thu 08-Nov-12 08:31:52

1) A coat is something that I would spend a lot of money on as long as it was something relatively timeless that wouldn't look dated within a year. I've just spent a sickening amount on a wool coat from Burberry but it is a classic shape, a good 'basic' colour, and fits me beautifully. I'm hoping that it will be brought out of my wardrobe for many winters to come. Whenever I've bought cheap coats in the past, they never last for much longer than one winter.

2) I really don't think its any of your daughter's business what you spend on a coat, or on any of your clothes. Fair enough if she was going without shoes or food due to your shopping habits, but if she wants private tennis lessons then she can pay for them using her birthday money, or paper round money or pocket money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now